Maine Medical Center Cancer Institute is nationally recognized for outstanding cancer care. Our patients have access to expert providers, advanced treatment options and clinical trials. Our clinical team includes board-certified and fellowship-trained medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and surgeons as well as oncology-certified nurses and clinical patient navigators.
Specialists work as a team to plan and coordinate each patient’s treatment. Patients and family members are involved in treatment planning and have access to all information needed to make the most informed decisions about their care. Our clinical navigators partner with patients to help coordinate care and access support resources such as nutritional counseling, support groups, home health and palliative care.
Our outcomes meet or exceed national measures:
- We care for more than 3,000 people with cancer annually – more than any other hospital in the state.
- We uphold rigorous standards that earn us national accreditation by:
- American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
- American College of Radiology Radiation Oncology
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- National Accreditation Program for Rectal Cancer (NAPRC)
- 8 disease-specific multidisciplinary tumor boards meet regularly to review cases and develop recommendations for treatment plans.
- 11 disease-specific patient navigators support patients and their families throughout their cancer journey.
- Support services includes dieticians who specialize in nutritional counseling for people undergoing cancer treatment
- Social workers and financial counselors work with patients and families to remove barriers to care.
By donating to the oncology innovation fund, you can help us develop breakthrough treatments and improve quality of live for cancer care patients in our communities.
A Coordinated System of Care
Maine Medical Center is a proud partner of the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network, a coordinated system of care with the support of the Harold Alfond® Foundation.
Outcomes & Innovation Report
Treating cancer is a battle, but we’re a relentless partner in fighting it. View our report to learn more about our key achievements, outcomes and innovations in cancer care.
We know that patients treated in a caring and supportive environment respond more successfully to treatment. This is why the Cancer Institute offers comprehensive services to help patients and their families deal with the impact of cancer.