What is pediatric cardiology?
Pediatric cardiology services offer advanced diagnostic and treatment services to children with heart problems. Pediatric cardiology includes treatment for congenital (present at birth) heart disease as well as with heart conditions that develop during childhood. Evaluation can begin with the fetus, since some heart problems can be detected before birth.
- Cardiac MRI for the assessment of cardiac function and vascular anatomy
- Electrophysiology (EP) services provide expert testing and care for pediatric heart rhythm disorders
- Diagnostic and therapeutic pediatric catheterization
- Echocardiography - including fetal echocardiography which allows time for both parents and physicians to plan for the birth of a child with congenital heart disease
- Heart surgery/cardiothoracic surgery for infants and children with structural heart disease
- Medical management
- Heart transplant care - in partnership with Children's Hospital Boston