We would like to welcome you to the Combined Internal Medicine-Pediatric Residency Program at Maine Medical Center (MMC). The combined residency received approval from the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Pediatrics in November of 1999 and received initial ACGME accreditation in 2007. We offer a four-year program combining two outstanding departments. The program provides optimal, comprehensive training to prepare Med-Peds doctors for a broad array of career options including primary care, sub-specialty fellowships, research, hospital medicine, and academic medicine.
MMC fosters professional training in an atmosphere in which we treat patients, families, and fellow health care workers with respect. We strive to improve our understanding of bias and health disparities with a goal to improve health for all patients and foster community with patients and colleagues. We serve a large and diverse patient population from across the state, including a large immigrant community due to Portland's refugee resettlement resources.
We take pride in the high caliber of teaching that effectively balances resident supervision and independent decision-making. The size and structure of our program provides ideal resident involvement as well as flexibility in achieving individual resident training goals. We endeavor to create excellent opportunities for learning while optimizing time outside of work to fuel your other passions.
If you are up to the challenge, we at MMC will deliver the training opportunity of a lifetime. Consider joining us in a great coastal city rich in beauty and abundant in cultural and recreational opportunities.
Internal Medicine-Pediatric Residency
MMC Department of Pediatrics
22 Bramhall Street
Portland, ME 04102
The Resident Experience at Maine Medical Center
Internal Medicine Pediatrics Residency Program at Maine Medical Center
- 4 Med-Peds residents per class
- 4th year Med-Peds Chief Resident
- % of graduates pursuing fellowship: ~45%
- % of graduates pursuing primary care: ~35%
- % of graduates pursuing hospitalist work: ~20%
Maine Medical Center
- 700-bed hospital, not-for-profit institution
- Diverse patient population - more than 50 languages are spoken in Portland
- Home to The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital; with 116 beds, including 31 Level III NICU Beds and 20 Level II Continuing Care Nursery beds and 8 PICU beds, it is Maine's premier referral hospital, offering services not available elsewhere in the state
Medical School Affiliation
- Tufts University School of Medicine-Maine Medical Center Program (TUSM-MMC)
- Rotate every 4 blocks between Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
- Combined Med-Peds continuity clinic, hospital based, precepted by Med-Peds trained attendings
- Monthly med pedes resident teaching conference, quarterly Med-Pedes Grand Rounds, in addition to categorical Internal Medicine and Pediatrics weekly ½ day protected didactics.
- Rotate every 4 months between Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
- Personal Learning Blocks (PLB’s) – up to 16 weeks of individualized elective time spaced out over 4 years of residency (in addition to 2 blocks of elective time on both IM and Pediatrics)
- Competitive resident salaries
- Disability, Malpractice, Life, Health, and Dental insurance
- Vacations: 4 weeks each year, several additional holidays
- Educational funds - PGY1: $600, PGY2 and above: $1100/year
- View our Stipends & Benefits