The Maine Medical Center (MMC) emergency department (ED) is Maine's only American College of Surgeons Level One verified trauma center. Located in Portland, the MMC ED is also home to Maine's only pediatric emergency department. Our state-of-the-art facility is designed to meet the needs of a high-volume patient population from Maine and New Hampshire, as well as visitors from all over the world.
The most advanced trauma system in Maine
Offering the most advanced technology and treatments available in emergency medicine today, MMC’s ED is ready and able to care for patients of all ages 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Staffed by board-certified emergency medicine physicians
- Full access to trained specialists, such as cardiologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedists and neonatologists
- Highly-trained emergency nurses with specialty certifications in advanced adult and pediatric life support and trauma care
- Dedicated radiology suite offering x-rays, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound
- On-site lab resulting in faster turn-around time for results
- Acute psychiatry unit (APU) designed to safely manage patients experiencing a wide range of psychiatric emergencies
When do I need to go to the emergency room?
Where to go for care
Health care continues to be busier than ever. If you need medical attention for non-life threatening respiratory symptoms, please contact your primary care provider.