Our family-centered approach provides a truly special birth experience. No matter what birthing path you choose, our experienced physicians and nursing staff are here to provide you with compassionate and individualized care. We offer an array of services and amenities designed to meet your health care needs and personal preferences.
- Private, cottage-style rooms
- In-room sleeping accommodations
- Room service for you and your partner
- 24-hour pain management
- Doula services
- Whirlpools, massage and other comfort measures
- Safe and secure “Hugs” infant protection system
Support before your baby arrives
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Appointment: Learn how to breastfeed your baby, what's normal and where to get help if needed. Please call 207-283-7335 to schedule your personal appointment with one of our certified lactation consultants.
- Education: We offer childbirth, breastfeeding and infant safety education classes to help you and your family prepare for your new baby. For more information, please call 207-283-7350.
Support after your baby arrives
- Breastfeeding Helpline: We encourage rooming-in with your baby to promote bonding and improve breastfeeding success. Certified lactation consultants are always available to support your goals. To learn more, please call our breastfeeding helpline at 207-283-7335.
- 24-hour Nurse Helpline: Experienced nurses are available before and after your baby’s birth to answer your questions through our 24-hour nurse helpline at 207-283-7350.
- Advanced Care: Should complications arise, your newborn will receive advanced care by expert neonatal nurses and physicians. If a higher level of care is needed, the Maine Medical Center Neonatal Transport team will ensure safe and fast transport to their Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Portland.
Breastfeeding Support Group
For Mom's and babies up to 6 months. Free. Thursdays, 10:00-11:00am - For more information, please call 207-283-7335.
Mother's Circle - New Mom Support Group
Moms in their third trimester of pregnancy through 12 months after birth are invited to join a supportive, non-judgmental group to share the challenges and rewards of being a new mom. Newborns and siblings up to one year old are welcome.
- Second & fourth Tuesday of each month
- 10 - 11 am
- 1 Medical Center Drive, Biddeford - Webber Building, 2nd Floor Conference Room
Welcome to our birthing suite, where families begin. With this wish list we hope to help you make informed decisions for a joyful labor and birth experience.
Please follow the link below for a printable copy of SMHC's Birth Wishes list. We recommend that you read read through the options and discuss your wishes with your support person. Your physician can help you make more informed decisions. The knowledge you gain from reading, childbirth classes or discussion with others can help with informed choices and wishes. Feel free to add any information you feel would aid the staff here at Southern Maine Medical Center to assist you in your labor and birth process. Many of the choices put forth in this handout are routine at SMMC. Please know that your birth wishes should be flexible, and that changes can be made during your stay with us.