The Emergency Department (ED) at Maine Medical Center (MMC) is Maine's only American College of Surgeons Level One verified trauma center. Located in Portland, the MMC ED is also home to Maine's only Pediatric Emergency Department, which is part of The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital. Our state-of-the-art facility is designed to meet the needs of a high-volume patient population from Maine and New Hampshire, as well as visitors from all over the world.
The most advanced trauma system in Maine
Offering the most advanced technology and treatments available in emergency medicine today, MMC’s ED is ready and able to care for patients of all ages 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Staffed by board-certified emergency medicine physicians
- Full access to trained specialists, such as cardiologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedists and neonatologists
- Highly-trained emergency nurses who maintain specialty certifications in the administration of advanced adult and pediatric life support and trauma care
- Dedicated radiology suite offering imaging such as x-rays, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound
- On-site lab resulting in faster turn-around time for results
- Acute Psychiatry Unit (APU) specially designed to safely manage patients experiencing a wide range of psychiatric emergencies