Maine Medical Center provides highly specialized inpatient psychiatric care to medically-complex and unstable patients. Out inpatient unit provides 24/7 multidisciplinary behavioral health and medical care. This therapeutic environment promotes safety and adapts to the needs of individuals with cognitive and functional impairments.
Maine Medical Center’s P6 service is committed to providing integrated treatment by:
- Caring for our community
- Educating and Training tomorrow's caregivers by serving as a training site for future behavioral health providers and therapists. As an affiliate of Tufts Medical School, the Unit provides inpatient medical/geriatric psychiatry experiences and clinical teaching to psychiatric residents, primary care residents, geriatric medicine fellows, NP trainees, medical students, nursing students, social work interns, and OT students. Our Psychiatry Residency program trains physicians to become specialists in the field.
- Researching new ways to provide care
Our service works collaboratively with other behavioral health providers in the MaineHealth system, including MaineHealth Medical Group Primary and Specialty practices, Maine Behavioral Healthcare and Spring Harbor Hospital.
- To provide a therapeutic milieu that promotes the safety of our patients
- To provide multidisciplinary, individualized behavioral health treatment that supports patient and family participation in treatment
- To educate patients and their caregivers about their illness, treatment options, risks of non-treatment, and prognosis
- To return patients to community living at an appropriate level of care with support services in place
- Individuals age 65 and older who meet inpatient psychiatric admission criteria, have a complex medical condition, and have an acute need for a secure setting
- Individuals ages 18-64 who require specialized medical and psychiatric care including the neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia
- Individuals with a decrease in cognitive functioning, decline in activities of daily living independence, and unsafe behaviors, who also require a secure inpatient psychiatric treatment setting
Our multidisciplinary team of highly experienced professionals who provide an array of treatment and therapeutic services include:
- Board Certified Psychiatrists
- Psychiatry Residents
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Occupational Therapists
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Interns
- Social Work Interns
- Medical Students
As a major teaching resource for Maine Medical Center, trainees participate as fully as possible in the care of patients and are welcomed members of our treatment team.
P6 uses a biopsychosocial model of care with focal treatment planning, and active involvement of families and caregivers. This model considers the multiple relatives and caregivers and aspects of an individual’s life, and identifies the specific factors that contributed to an individual’s admission. Full interdisciplinary rounds are conducted daily, and comprehensive discharge planning is provided to every patient. Treatment and therapies delivered include:
- Individual and Family Education
- Medication Management
- Individual Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Approximately 80% of our patients are jointly managed by a medical or surgical consulting service for acute or unstable medical conditions. We can secure treatment from the full complement of services at Maine Medical Center, including Physical Therapy, Neuropsychology, Dietary/ Nutrition, Spiritual Care, Physical Therapy, Vocational Services, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Care Coordination, Pharmacy, and Respiratory Therapy.