Maine Medical Center’s Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic provides treatment and care to children and adolescents under age 21 who experience a variety of psychiatric challenges. These include mood, anxiety, behavior, psychotic, learning, and developmental disorders, substance abuse co-occurring with psychiatric illness, those who have experienced adverse or traumatic events, and those at risk for suicide. Evaluations may include assessment of autism and other developmental disorders.
As part of the MaineHealth Behavioral Health network, Maine Medical Center’s Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic is committed to providing integrated treatment by:
- Caring for our community
- Educating and Training tomorrow's caregivers by serving as a training site for future behavioral health providers and therapists. As an affiliate of Tufts Medical School, the Clinic provides patient care experiences and clinical teaching to medical students. Our Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program trains physicians to become specialists in the field. The Clinic offers training and supervision to master’s level social work interns, and psychology trainees.
- Researching new ways to provide care
Our clinic works collaboratively with other behavioral health providers in the MaineHealth system, including MaineHealth Medical Group Primary and Specialty practices, Maine Behavioral Healthcare, and Spring Harbor Hospital.
We embrace a recovery based philosophy of care, partnering with patients and their families to optimize quality of life. We achieve this by:
- Providing expert comprehensive and coordinated team-based care
- Providing treatment that is informed by outcomes and evidence
- Committing to ongoing education and professional development of staff and trainees
- Embracing research as an integral part of our work
- Evaluating and allocating resources to meet defined patient population and trainee needs
- Engaging in continuous process and quality improvement as part of our culture
- Using technologies to maximize safety and efficiency
We have a multidisciplinary team highly experienced in diagnosing and treating psychiatric and co-occurring disorders in youth. The team includes:
- Board Certified Child Psychiatrists
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Postgraduate Fellows
- Licensed Psychologists
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Psychiatric Assistants
- Social Work Interns
- Medical Students
The Outpatient Child and Adolescent Clinic’s array of services include:
- Psychiatric Evaluation
- Medication Management
- Psychiatric Consultation
- Individual Therapy for Youth
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Telehealth Psychiatry and Therapy
Specialty Services include:
- Portland Identification & Early Psychosis (PIER) PIER Program (for individuals 14-26 years old within one year of a psychotic episode)
- Early Childhood (0-5 yrs) Evaluation, including Autism and Developmental Disorders
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- OCD/Tic Disorder Evaluation & Treatment
- Consultation to Pediatric and Family Medicine practices
- Consultation to The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital
- Co-management treatment for children with physical illnesses with associated emotional and behavioral difficulties
We excel in the diagnosis and treatment of youth psychiatric and co-occurring disorders. We take pride in assisting local primary care physicians and pediatricians in delivering safe and effective mental health treatment for their patients with the best possible outcomes. Consultation provides professional diagnostic expertise and recommendations for further evaluation and treatment.
As part of the Maine Pediatric Behavioral Health Partnership Program (MPBHP), Primary Care Physicians and Pediatricians can request consultation from a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist for the following services:
- Medication Management
- Diagnostic assessment
- Screening & Treatment recommendations, individual therapy, family therapy, neurological or psychological testing, speech or OT/PT evaluation, & substance abuse treatment
This consultation to professionals occurs through asynchronous messages, phone consultation, or a face-to-face consultation with the identified patient.
For more information about this service, please contact the MPBHP Project Manager at 207-661-2771.
All new appointments can be scheduled through the Outpatient Psychiatry Intake/Referral Center at 207-662-2221. Assistance for making a referral and matching your needs to the best type of service will be provided.
The Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic is located on the Maine Medical Center campus at 66 Bramhall Street in Portland.