The Maine Medical Center (MMC) Pharmacy Residency Program has a rich history of high-quality teaching programs. We have a total of eight residents each year and over 40 preceptors across PGY1 and PGY2 programs.
As a resident at MMC, you will have the opportunity to work and learn under the guidance of a diverse and highly experienced team of pharmacists, technicians, and administrators across acute and ambulatory care settings. More importantly, as a resident in our program, you become part of our MMC pharmacy family.
MMC is committed to providing a learning environment where residents can thrive. Our small residency class size together with our dedicated faculty cultivate a welcoming community inclusive of everyone. The camaraderie between residents, providers and faculty is truly unique and a reason many of our residents and staff enjoy training and working at MMC. You will rarely find a pharmacist without a pharmacy student, pharmacy resident, medical student, or medical resident by our side. Through our affiliation with Tufts University School of Medicine, we offer a unique clinical pharmacology elective for medical students and medical residents.
Located in Portland, ME, residents have the opportunity to work in a fun, vibrant city. Urban enough to provide enough variety of experiences in any season, yet without the traffic or expense of a larger city. Residents are able to make the most of their time off whether it’s an outdoor adventure, relaxing at a beach or checking out art and the latest restaurants and breweries.
We are extremely proud of our pharmacist alumni who have gone on to further their training at additional training programs, have become faculty and leaders and secured positions at competitive institutions.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Pharmacy Residency Programs aim to create a safe work and learning environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds as this drives innovation and enhances our ability to care for our diverse community. We recognize that our program and institution are in the early phases of this process. However, we are strongly committed to advancing this critical work to better serve our patients and our learners. Learn more about DEI within the MMC graduate medical education program.
The Resident Experience at Maine Medical Center
Pharmacy Residency Program at Maine Medical Center
Acute Care & Ambulatory Settings
The Maine Medical Center Pharmacy is focused on delivering safe patient and family centered care across acute and ambulatory care settings.
Quick Facts: MMC Pharmacy Team
- Our team includes more than 100 pharmacist and pharmacy technician FTEs across acute and ambulatory settings
- Close to $150 million drug spend per year
- Over 4 million medication doses dispensed annually supported by an electronic health records, medication carousels, automated dispensing cabinets, and barcode scanning/integration
- Medication Transitions and Meds to Beds programs
- Maine’s only 24/7 community pharmacy including retail and specialty services and a charity care program
- 5 primary pharmacy school affiliations and more than 100 pharmacy student APPE rotations/ year
- Pharmacist consult and clinical services (e.g. pharmacokinetics, anticoagulation)
For More Information on our Residency Programs
- Maine Medical Center also attends the New England Regional Residency Showcase each October, hosted by Massachusetts College of Pharmacy.
- Please join us at the ASHP Midyear meeting during the Residency Showcase. We hope to meet you there!
- We are on social media! Please check us out on YouTube at MMC Pharmacy Residency Programs - YouTube.
Hear from our current residents why they chose us!