Keeping you safe is our top priority. Don’t delay needed care. While our services may look different, MaineHealth remains committed to providing high-quality care, close to home. Learn more about new safety measures in place at all care locations.
High-quality Cancer Care - Close to Home
At Stephens Memorial Hospital we understand that a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming, not just for patients but also for their loved ones. This is why we take a patient-centered approach to cancer treatment and encourage patients and their families to take an active part in decision making throughout the cancer care journey. From your initial appointment with our oncologist to your final treatment, our dedicated team will provide comprehensive and personalized care.
Stephens Memorial Hospital is part of MaineHealth, Maine's largest integrated health system, and the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network. This ensures that, when needed, patients with more complex diagnoses have access to the most advanced cancer treatment and specialists.
Stephens Center for Specialty Care – Cancer Care
Bob & Sandy Bahre Health Center
159 Main Street
Norway, ME 04268
Now, the finest cancer care is close to home.
At Stephens Center for Specialty Care, our coordinated team approach puts you at the center of expert care. We have joined together with MaineHealth to deliver the strongest network of specialists to provide high-quality, cancer care, close to home. The surroundings are familiar; the care is state-of-the-art.
Meet Our Oncologist / Hematologist:
Peter Rubin, MD
McGill University - Montreal, QC
University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
Queen's University - Kingston, ON
University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
American Board of Internal Medicine
The Infusion Center at Stephens Memorial Hospital is an outpatient service offered to patients who have intravenous care needs. Our Infusion Center provides an extensive array of services provided by skilled certified oncology nurses. These services include treatment for chronic illnesses, chemotherapy, blood transfusions, intravenous therapy and central line maintenance.
Our Infusion Center offers private treatment areas, each equipped with a comfortable reclining lounge chair. iPads, WiFi, books, and games are available for our patients and families. The Infusion Center ensures privacy for our patients while allowing our compassionate nursing staff to closely monitor and provide excellent care.
For more information about our services, please contact: 207-743-6117
The Oncology Nurse Practitioner provides specialty care for oncology patients receiving chemotherapy in the Infusion Center. As part of our comprehensive approach, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner provides support and follow-up care to oncology patients while working collaboratively with Dr. Peter Rubin, Oncologist-Hematologist and the patient's primary care physician.
What to expect?
As part of your health care team, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will:
- Meet with you for Chemotherapy Teaching prior to the start of your treatment. At this time, you will receive a Treatment Workbook which includes your customized cancer care plan and educational information.
- Prior to each treatment, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will meet with patients individually and evaluate your oncology care plan for side effects. If needed, prescribe supportive medications and provide emotional support to you and your caregivers.
- During your treatment process the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will provide assessment of ongoing needs and addresses education deficits.
- At the end of your cancer treatment, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will develop a patient centered Survivorship Care Plan and reviews this with you.
To provide comprehensive, compassionate care to patients undergoing cancer treatment.
Making decisions about cancer treatment isn't always easy. That's why having a Patient Care Navigator can help with all those tough choices. Our Patient Care Navigator is a nurse who specializes in working with patients diagnosed with cancer. The Patient Care Navigator is here to make sure you and your family have all the information you need to make the most informed and timely decision about your treatment plan.
What Services Does the Patient Care Navigator Provide?
As part of your health care team, the Patient Navigator will:
- Ease your concerns and answer any questions you may have.
- Provide information and literature relative to your specific diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care.
- Connect patients with community resources, support and health care information.
- Help patients keep track of, and get to appointments.
- Helping patients find appropriate sources to pay for health care needs.
Our goal is to assist cancer patients, caregivers and families in "bridging the gaps" within the health care system and decreasing barriers which may effect patient outcomes.
How to Participate:
We recommend that all patients who are diagnosed with cancer take advantage of our patient care navigator program. Call 207-744-6173 to learn more.
There are many local resources available for our patients.
- Breast Prosthesis Fittings - Stephens Memorial Hospital Women's Imaging Center - 207-743-1562, ext. 6079
- Cancer Support Group for Women - First Tuesday of every month 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - 207-744-6173
- Look Good Feel Better (ACS) - Stephens Memorial Hospital Patient Care Navigator - 207-744-6173
- Nutrition Support Services and Dietary Information - Stephens Memorial Hospital Dietitian - 207-744-6059
- Reiki - Stephens Memorial Hospital Infusion Center - 207-744-6117
- Lymphedema Therapy - Stephens Memorial Hospital Rehabilitation Department - 207-744-6160
- Social Worker - Stephens Memorial Hospital Social Worker - 207-743-1562, ext. 6999
- Healthy Oxford Hills - 207-739-6222
- Wound/Ostomy Nurse - Stephens Memorial Hospital Wound Clinic - 207-743-1562, ext. 6554
- MaineHealth Cancer Care Network