Adult Neurology Residency
Congratulations on choosing a career in neurology! This is truly a golden age in clinical neuroscience, with countless groundbreaking therapies emerging in real time for stroke, epilepsy, dementia, multiple sclerosis and other neurological conditions. The Maine Medical Center neurology program is on the cutting edge of these breakthroughs.
Here you will find a supportive learning environment designed to foster your development into an outstanding neurologist. You will experience the breadth of modern neurological practice, but will also be immersed in the finer points of care in all major neurological sub-specialties. We recognize diverse individual goals in development as clinicians, scientists, educators and advocates, and have designed our program to support personalized training with longitudinal tracks and mentorship.
Our core values of lifelong learning in neurology, patient-centered clinical excellence, resident well-being, diversity, and social responsibility will be integrated throughout your experience. Upon graduating from the program, these values will be yours to take with you to the next stage of your career as a clinician, educator and/or researcher who will be certain to inspire the next generation of neurologists. Thank you for your interest in our program, and welcome to the world of neurology! We look forward to meeting you soon!
David Taplinger, MD
Neurology at Maine Medical Center (MMC)
- MMC is a 700-bed tertiary care hospital, and is the top rated hospital in Maine
- Modern outpatient clinical site for general and sub-specialty neurological care
- Comprehensive stroke center with state-of-the-art neuro-endovascular support
- Comprehensive epilepsy program
- MS Center of Excellence
- Additional programs in dementia, movement disorders, neuromuscular medicine, neuro-oncology, sleep medicine, headache, neuro-radiology, clinical neurophysiology, and pediatric neurology
- Robust clinical trials program and research opportunities with the MaineHealth Institute for Research (MHIR)
- Established and growing tele-neurology programs focus on tele-stroke as well as epilepsy, movement disorders, and dementia care
- Inter-professional relationships with neurosurgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neuropsychology, social work, neurology nursing, ophthalmology and otolaryngology through MMC