The women’s health department at Waldo County General Hospital is truly one coordinated team. We are obstetricians, gynecologists, certified nurse midwives, nurses and lactation consultants. Together, we offer a continuum of care that’s one-on-one and focused on you—what you need to know, what you need to learn, what you need to feel safe, comfortable, well and able.
We’ve worked hard to make our women’s health services connect in a way that makes sense for you. We’re here to take care of the whole you. At all stages of your life. From pelvic exams to postpartum depression. From socially transmitted disease testing to hormone replacement alternatives and therapy, we get to know and treat the whole you.
Learn more about the birth center at Waldo County General Hospital.
From routine annual check-ups to the most advanced specialty care, our OB/GYN physicians and nurse midwives are highly specialized in the diagnosis, care and treatments of women’s health issues, from pre-adolescence into the mature years.
- Women’s health and wellness programs
- Pelvic exams and cervical cancer screening
- Breast health, education and support
- Family planning
- Menopause management and support, both traditional, i.e. hormones and non-traditional, i.e. herbal supplement information
- Pelvic floor support both surgical and non-surgical
- Accredited gynecologic ultrasonography, on-site
- Gynecologic surgery
- Certified nurse midwives
Without a doubt, pregnancy and delivering a baby are one of the most intense as well as exciting times in a woman’s life. The changes to your body are dramatic. First-time mothers-to-be have a lot to learn, and a lot to look forward to. Questions and concerns are to be expected. Even returning moms require one-on-one support. We’re here to anticipate what you need and guide you and your family toward your new baby’s arrival. Comfort and privacy for mom and her family is the focus of our birthing unit.
- two generously sized birthing rooms. Roll-a-way bed is available for your birthing coach upon request
- two whirlpool tubs available for our laboring patients (with provider approval)
- four postpartum rooms equipped with a telephone, flat-screen television, rocking chair and private bathroom with a single shower
Group Childbirth Preparation Class
- signs of labor
- what to expect at the hospital
- stages of labor
- pain relief options, including relaxation, breathing, medications and epidural
- caesarean birth
Breastfeeding Class + Resources
- benefits of breast feeding
- preparing to breast feed
- exploring the myths of breast feeding
- breast care
- Private instruction to help the littlest family members prepare for the birth of a new baby.
We offer confidential, one-on-one services and education to inform and promote positive sexual health for when you need it, or for your friends.
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing
- Same-day appointments available
- Both male and female doctors and nurse midwives available
- Adolescent care
- Contraception management
- Family planning
- Always confidential and private
Waldo County General Hospital has a full complement of OB/GYN’s and certified nurse midwives to meet your healthcare needs across your lifespan. Midwives provide full range of healthcare to women throughout life. Some services include:
- Prenatal, birth and post partum care
- Annual exams
- Reproductive health visits
- Menopause management
- Patient education
Certified nurse midwives are licensed, independent health care providers with prescriptive authority. CNMs are defined as primary care providers under federal law.