If back or neck pain is interfering with your ability to enjoy life, it may be time to visit Maine Medical Partners - Neurosurgery & Spine. We are Maine’s largest and most complete resource for diagnosing and treating spinal problems. Our expert team of neurology specialists, physiatrists, physical therapists, physician assistants and nurses works together to:
- Evaluate and diagnose the cause of your spine problem
- Design a treatment plan that’s tailored to your individual needs and lifestyle
- Connect you to the right health care professionals to provide treatment
- Help you take care of your spine so you can live as actively and pain-free as possible
Expert Spine Specialists in Scarborough, Maine
Through Maine Medical Center, we are affiliated with northern New England’s largest and most experienced team of neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons so when surgery is necessary, you can see a surgeon quickly and easily. And while spinal surgery can be an effective treatment, it's not right for every person with back pain. Unless the spine problem is so severe that surgery is the only option, we always try the most conservative (nonsurgical) treatment options first. Our spine specialists can help determine whether you are a candidate for surgery. Or, if a doctor has recommended neurosurgery for your spine problem we can provide a second opinion.
The Maine Medical Center spinal surgery program has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® by demonstrating compliance with their national standards for health care quality and safety in disease-specific care.
- Maine’s largest and most complete resource for diagnosing and managing spinal problems
- An emphasis on conservative (non-surgical) treatments whenever possible
- Treatment plans that are personalized to your individual needs and lifestyle
- A comprehensive network of trusted community-based providers so you are matched with the most appropriate provider and can receive ongoing care close to home
- Northern New England’s largest and most experienced team of neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons so when surgery is necessary, you can see a surgeon quickly and easily
- A focus on patient education to empower you to get and keep your spine healthy
- Open, honest communication with you and your entire care team
- Access to innovative new treatments through our active participation in multiple research studies and clinical trials
These are the spinal problems we see most often:
- Ruptured (or herniated) disc
- Spinal AVM and Fistula
- Spinal stenosis
- Spine tumor: primary and metastatic
- Osteoarthritis of the spine
- Degenerative disc disease
- Sports-related spinal injury
Back pain occurs for many reasons. The first step in treating back or neck pain is to identify exactly what is causing it. So before we can diagnose your condition and design a treatment plan, a complete medical history and physical examination are necessary. This gives us a clearer picture of what’s causing your back or neck problem, and whether additional diagnostic tests are needed. If further tests are needed, we have all the most advanced technology available right here at our center, so everything usually can be done in one visit.
View our educational information and resources for before and after your spine surgery.
Stephanie's back pain eventually left her unable to walk, let alone teach yoga classes. Our team recommend a safe, effective surgical solution and got her back on her feet.
Refer a Patient
If you are a provider interested in referring a patient to Maine Medical Partners - Neurosurgery & Spine, please review our referral guidelines and call 207-885-0011.
MaineHealth providers may refer through EPIC:
- Spine Evaluation - AMB REF 12102
- Neurosurgery - AMB REF 1348
Quality Outcomes Report
Read about the spine program's success and review transparent quality data in our 2020 outcomes report.