Weight & Wellness Program
The Maine Medical Center Weight & Wellness program is focused on wellness and disease prevention. Adults and children with obesity are at increased risk for conditions such as: hypertension, lipid disorders, cardiovascular disease, mood disorders, sleep apnea, diabetes, menstrual irregularity, liver disease and certain types of cancer. Fortunately, people who carry extra weight can lower their risk of disease through:
- Weight loss
- Healthy eating
- Increased activity
Our integrated team of physicians, physician assistants, dietitians and social workers provides a supportive and non-judgmental environment that empowers people of all ages to reach their weight loss goals and improve their quality of life. Together, we develop personalized weight & wellness treatment plans that address each patient’s unique needs and preferences. Services include:
- Assessment of each patient’s fitness level and a plan for increased physical activity
- Individual diet and nutrition counseling
- Group cooking and nutrition classes
- Assessment of each patient’s current medications, conditions and underlying disease
- Evaluation of genetic risks for obesity
- Patients working with an Obesity Medicine Specialist will have their medication regimen revised to be less likely to cause obesity. This requires coordination with multiple specialists to assure maximum pre- and post-operative weight loss.
Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery)
- Weight loss surgery is a procedure performed on the stomach or intestines to help with weight loss. It has been shown to be the most effective and long-lasting treatment for morbid obesity.
- Weight loss surgery often cures some, if not all, obesity-related co-morbidities and can be life-changing for people with obesity-related disease.