With a team of full-time, Board certified and fellowship-trained subspecialists in pediatric nephrology, The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital offers the largest and most active pediatric nephrology program north of Boston.
Our team provides inpatient and outpatient care for infants, children and adolescents with all types of kidney disease, from routine conditions to the most complex. Our team of pediatric nephrologists is one of the few in New England to provide prenatal consultations, helping mothers-to-be make treatment decisions prior to the birth of a child known to have kidney or urinary tract abnormalities.
Conditions, Diagnosis & Treatment
Learn more about conditions we treat, diagnosis and treatment options we offer.
We see patients with a full range of acute and chronic kidney diseases and disorders, including:
- Calcium disorders and renal bone disease
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- End-stage renal disease (ESRD)
- Fetal hydronephrosis
- Genetic renal disorders
- Glomerular diseases
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Pediatric hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Kidney stones
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)
- Multicystic kidney disease
- Renal tubular acidosis
- Urinary tract infections
- Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR)
The Pediatric Nephrology team at The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital offers the most comprehensive program for the diagnosis and treatment of children with kidney disease.
- Radiology services for diagnostic imaging, including renal ultrasound
- Kidney biopsy performed with ultrasound guidance and conscious sedation
- Interventional radiology services
- Complete lab services for rapid, accurate blood and urine testing
- Hemodialysis (dialysis)
- Hemofiltration, or continuous renal replacement therapy
- Kidney transplantation
- Immunosuppressive therapy
- Surgery to correct congenital abnormalities
- Medical management of certain renal disorders