The physicians of Pen Bay Surgery & Wound Healing Center offer expertise in the areas of breast, colon, hernia, gallbladder, esophageal, thyroid, varicose vein surgery as well as endoscopy, surgical treatment of GERD and excision of skin lesions.
Pen Bay Surgery & Wound Healing Center also houses the Vascular Lab.
Please visit our locations page for directions to the office.
Wounds that are slow to heal (taking more than 4 weeks) often have multiple causes for not healing. The Wound Healing Center at Pen Bay Medical Center uses a collaborative team approach to diagnose, treat and heal complicated wounds. The wound care team at PBMC consists of three certified ostomy and wound care nurses and a nurse practitioner. All of whom are specially trained to address the specific needs of wound center patients.
We provide coordinated wound care by consulting with specialists and making referrals for patient follow-up as needed. The center is under the medical direction of Julie White, MD and has the benefit of a certified wound and ostomy care nurse.
- Treatment of venous stasis ulcers
- Treatment of arterial ulcers
- Treatment of diabetic foot ulcers
- Total contact casting
- Compression wraps
- Ostomy care and education (ileostomies, urostomies or colostomies)
- Non-healing surgical wounds
The Team Approach Includes Access To:
- Your family doctor
- Infectious disease specialists
- Home health
- Lymphedema clinic
- Physical and occupational therapy
Referrals are made by your primary care provider. Self-referrals are accepted as well.
Diseases of the vascular system are managed by medical therapy, minimally-invasive catheter procedures, laser procedures and surgical reconstruction. Medical therapy often includes lifestyle changes and some medications. Minimally invasive catheter procedures include balloon angioplasty and stent placement. Laser therapy is often used for venous diseases. Vascular reconstruction is offered for more advanced levels of diseases.
Vascular Disease Diagnosis and Management
Pen Bay Medical Center offers many noninvasive studies to evaluate arterial and venous disease. These include:
- Carotid artery duplex exams
- Peripheral arterial exams
- Venous imaging
These labs can be performed as screening or diagnostic exams, and may be ordered by your primary care provider.
Vascular and endovascular surgeries are treatments for conditions of the blood vessels and lymphatic system, also known as vascular diseases. Our doctors and surgeons provide advanced surgical treatments, including bypass surgery and endovascular therapy. Vascular bypass surgery reroutes the blood supply around a blocked artery. Endovascular surgeries are less invasive procedures for repairing blood vessel problems.
Vascular Programs at Pen Bay Medical Center
- Aorta program – Our specialists consult, diagnose and provide surgical follow up.
- Carotid program – Our specialists consult, diagnose and provide surgical follow up.
- Vein services- Our specialists at the Pen Bay Vein Center consult, diagnose and treat varicose veins and venous insufficiency. Our treatments may include radio frequency ablation, sclerotherapy, phlebectomy and ligation.
- Limb salvage program – Our specialists consult, diagnose, and treat and follow up PAD. Services include angioplasty, atherectomy, endarterectomy, bypass, stenting, thrombolysis and amputation.
- Rare vascular diseases – Our specialists consult, diagnose and provide surgical follow up.
Awards and Achievements
The Vascular Lab at Pen Bay Medical Center has again earned three-year accreditation from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) in the areas of peripheral arterial disease, carotid disease, and venous disease. This is a widely-respected seal of approval that you can rely when looking for a vascular health care provider.
Learn more about Cardiovascular Services at Pen Bay Medical Center.
Surgical services offered:
Excision of skin lesions
PD Catheter placement
Stomach and small bowel tumors
Surgical treatment of GERD
Temporal artery biopsy
Varicose vein surgery
We accept all insurances. Please check with your insurance carrier for specific therapy coverage.