The oncology teams at Pen Bay Medical Center and Waldo County General Hospital have been caring for cancer patients for many years. We offer screening, diagnosis, surgery, treatment, recovery, education and support services to adults age 18 and over.
Our goal is to provide the highest-quality oncology services close to home so patients can focus on healing and recovery rather than travel. Our care team includes a board-certified hematologist, oncologists and an oncology certified nurse practitioner. Our nurses have a special interest in cancer and many are oncology certified nurses. Our oncology certified social worker is also available to help meet the unique needs of cancer patients.
- We are part of the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network and collaborate with oncology experts across the state to develop the best treatment plan for each patient.
- We are members of the Association of Community Cancer Centers
- We coordinated each patient's care with other clinical areas as needed (primary care, pharmacy, laboratory, radiology, respiratory therapy, etc.)
- We participate in advanced research and clinical trials and screen all patients for eligibility.
- Our survivorship program helps patients who have completed treatment understand their unique medical history and follow up plan.
- Oncology/hematology assessments and follow up by board-certified oncologist and nurse practitioner
- Chemotherapy infusions by certified chemotherapy registered nurses
- Central line maintenance
- Blood transfusions, intravenous therapy and injections
- Social workers
- Patient education
- Survivorship care planning
- Clinical trials
- Follow-up care
We do not offer radiation services but work closely with two local centers that provide radiation to our patients. To assist patients with associated travel costs, we offer:
- A gas card program to qualifying patients
- Free transportation to/from and and free rides on the ferries that serve nearby island communities
Support Groups: Learn more about cancer support groups.
Breast Prosthesis: For information about breast prosthesis and mastectomy supplies, please call 207-301-8969.
Palliative Care: Palliative care supports the best possible quality of life for patients and families living with a serious or life-threatening illness. Learn more.
For more resources and information about cancer:
A Coordinated System of Care
Pen Bay Medical Center is a proud partner of the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network, a coordinated system of care with the support of the Harold Alfond® Foundation.