Surgical oncology focuses on the surgical management of cancer. At the MMC Cancer Institute, our team of surgical oncologists have training and experience that is unmatched in the state. As a referral center for some of the most complex cancer cases in the area, our expertise offers much-needed hope to patients and their families in a convenient and close-to-home setting.
Our oncology surgeons perform more of every type of cancer surgery than any other hospital in Maine, consistently meeting or exceeding national benchmarks for patient health outcomes. In addition, we provide:
- Comprehensive surgical treatment by board-certified surgical oncologists for both primary and metastatic liver and pancreatic cancer
- Comprehensive treatment of colorectal cancer by board-certified colorectal surgeons and other skilled oncology surgeons
- Comprehensive surgical treatment of lung and esophageal cancers and conditions
Maine Medical Partners – Thoracic Surgery works closely with the MMC thoracic oncology program. We provide a comprehensive range of diagnostic and treatment resources for thoracic conditions. Our patients have access to the most advanced technology with the highest level of expertise. Led by Dr. Gary Hochheiser, our practice offers expert knowledge of thoracic oncology, benign thoracic surgeries, and minimally invasive techniques.
- Close-to-home access to the most advanced and comprehensive surgical oncology program in Maine, with a level of subspecialty care that is unrivaled in the state
- Access to a full complement of the most advanced surgical procedures and techniques performed by exceptionally qualified and experienced surgeons
- Clinical outcomes that are consistently excellent compared to national benchmarks and based on the largest surgical volume in Maine
- A truly multidisciplinary approach to care, with teams that bring together all the appropriate specialists – medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, registered nurses, other clinicians and social workers – to help determine the best course of treatment for each patient.
- We are engaged in clinical trials to advance surgical methods of diagnosing and treating cancer, which means our patients have access to novel treatments that may not be available at other hospitals.