Keeping you safe is our top priority. Don’t delay needed care. While our services may look different, MaineHealth remains committed to providing high-quality care, close to home. Learn more about new safety measures in place at all care locations.
Surgical oncology focuses on the surgical management of cancer. At MMC Cancer Institute, we have a team of surgical oncologists with training and experience that is unmatched in the state. As a referral center for some of the most complex cancer cases in the area, our expertise offers much-needed hope to patients and their families in a convenient and close-to-home setting.
The more cancer cases a surgeon treats, the more proficient he or she becomes, and patients experience improved survival rates as a result. MMC Cancer Institute's oncology surgeons perform more of every type of cancer surgery than any other hospital in Maine, a volume level that translates into patient outcomes that consistently meet or exceed national benchmarks.
In addition, MMC provides:
- Comprehensive surgical treatment by Board certified surgical oncologists for both primary and metastatic liver and pancreatic cancer
- Comprehensive treatment of colorectal cancer by Board certified colorectal surgeons and other skilled oncology surgeons
- Close-to-home access to the most advanced and comprehensive surgical oncology program in Maine, with a level of subspecialty care that is unrivaled in the state
- Access to a full complement of the most advanced surgical procedures and techniques performed by exceptionally qualified and experienced surgeons
- Clinical outcomes that are consistently excellent compared to national benchmarks and based on the largest surgical volume in Maine
- A truly multidisciplinary approach to care, with teams that bring together all the appropriate specialists – medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, registered nurses, other clinicians and social workers – to help determine the best course of treatment for each patient.
- We are engaged in clinical trials to advance surgical methods of diagnosing and treating cancer, which means our patients have access to novel treatments that may not be available at other hospitals.