MaineHealth provides high-quality services for older adults in the communities we serve. We are working to become designated as an Age Friendly Health System by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and mobility in older adults is a major area of focus.
Fall Risk Screening and Prevention
One quarter of adults over 65 fall each year, yet only half of these falls are reported to a health care provider. Falling does not have to be an inevitable part of the aging process. Evidence-based fall prevention education, fall risk screening tools and referral protocols are available and can help decrease falls in older adults by 24% (source: https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries (CDC STEADI)
- Algorithm for Fall Risk Screening, Assessment and Intervention (PDF) - This tool walks you through the process of assessing fall risk, selecting interventions and following up.
- Preventing Falls in Older Adults: Pocket Guide (PDF) - This small, easy-to-use tool provides an overview of the key points of fall prevention.
- VIDEO: 30 Second Chair Stand Test - Use this test to assess a patient’s leg strength and endurance.
- VIDEO: Four Stage Balance Test - Use this test to assess a patient’s balance.
- VIDEO: Timed Up and Go Test (TUG) - Use this test to assess a patient’s mobility.
- Full STEADI Toolkit
The National Council on Aging (NCOA) also provides valuable resources.
Patient Resources: Evidence-Based Fall Prevention Programs
- A Matter of Balance: Many fall prevention resources are available in the community for older adults.The MaineHealth "A Matter of Balance" program is designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase activity levels among older adults. It includes 8 two-hour sessions for a small group of 8-12 participants led by a trained facilitator. This nationally recognized program was developed at the Roybal Center at Boston University.
- Tai Chi Programs: The practice of an evidence-based Tai Chi fall prevention program has also been shown to slow the loss of bone density, improve balance and reduce fall risk. View classes.
- York & Cumberland Counties (Southern Maine Agency on Aging) Classes
- Healthy Living for ME (Seniors Plus, Spectrum Generations & Aroostook)
Additional Fall Prevention Resources: