Adult Cardiac Anesthesiology Fellowship Program
Maine Medical Center's cardiac anesthesiology team is part of the largest cardiothoracic surgical program in Northern New England. As such, we are committed to sharing our knowledge and experience with residents and fellows to ensure the ongoing delivery of excellent care in the communities we serve.
All of our cardiac anesthesiologists are certified by the National Board of Echocardiography in perioperative transesophageal echocardiography. Their teaching capacity, in conjunction with Maine Medical Center's high case volume provides an extraordinary training experience for residents who wish to specialize in adult cardiac anesthesiology.
ACA Fellowship Program Overview
The Maine Medical Center Adult Cardiac Anesthesiology Fellowship Program provides robust training in adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology with both didactic, clinical, and project-based learning opportunities. Over the course of the year, fellows will gain mastery in all aspects of care of the cardiovascular patient; including:
- Preoperative evaluation and optimization
- Interpretation and application of preoperative testing
- Perioperative pharmacologic and physiologic evaluation and management
- Interpretation of invasive monitoring
- Intraoperative conduct of anesthesia
- Performance and interpretation of perioperative TEE
- Management of intra-aortic balloon counter pulsation, extracorporeal and implanted circulatory assist devices (ECMO and VADs)
- Management of cardiopulmonary bypass
- Post-operative patient management in the cardiac intensive care unit (ICU) and cardiothoracic intensive care unit (CTICU)
The fellow will interact with the entire care team, and be an integral part of the perioperative management for patients throughout their hospitalizations.