With the only pediatric pulmonary program in Maine – and the largest in northern New England – The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital (BBCH) offers an unrivaled level of comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care for newborns, children, teens and young adults with all types of respiratory disorders, from routine conditions to the most complex. Our core team is made up of Board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric pulmonary specialists, nurse practitioners and registered nurses with advanced training in asthma education. We have access to the most advanced diagnostic resources to quickly and accurately identify pediatric pulmonary disorders.
BBCH is part of a network of pediatric cystic fibrosis (CF) centers in the nation accredited by the CF Foundation, a testament to our high standards of patient care, research and teaching. We treat more cystic fibrosis patients at our Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Clinic than any other facility in Northern New England. We are also the region’s only multidisciplinary Aerodigestive Clinic for children with complex problems affecting the airway, pulmonary function and the GI tract.
Diagnosis & Treatment
Learn more about the diagnosis and treatment options we offer.
- Pulmonary function testing in infants and older children
- Nitric oxide testing
- Bronchial challenge
- Sleep studies (polysomnography)
- Flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy
- Sweat testing and genetic testing
- Comprehensive diagnostic imaging modalities
- Biopsy of the cilia
- Biopsy of the lung
- Allergy testing
- Testing to assess lung function in children
The Pediatric Pulmonary team provides extensive therapies for treating respiratory diseases and disorders, these include:
- Airway clearance devices
- Bronchoscopic lavage
- Medications including bronchodilators and anti-inflammatory agents
- Surfactant replacement therapy
- Home ventilator management
- Special feeding and nutrition
- Exercise and rehabilitation plans to maximize lung function
- Comprehensive asthma care including asthma education