At Waldo County General Hospital (WCGH), we understand that family and friends provide much needed support while you are in the hospital. Whether you are a patient or a visitor, we want your experience to be as pleasant as possible. Please note that weapons and tobacco products including electronic cigarettes, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco are prohibited on the grounds of all Pen Bay Medical Center facilities, including parking areas and in vehicles.
All patients (excluding emergency patients) must register for services upon arrival at our central registration desk located on the first floor of the hospital. Please bring your medical insurance cards, a photo ID and a copy of your advance directive,if you have one.
Visitation is limited to:
Hospital Inpatient Areas:
- Pediatrics: Two parents/guardians allowed in all areas as space allows to provide for patient care needs.
- Obstetrics: 2 support people during labor/delivery and postpartum stay. These should be the same 2 individuals for the duration of the patient’s stay unless specific arrangements have been made with the care team. Sibling visitation is allowed per unit policy.
- All other inpatient areas including critical care: Two visitors at any one time from 8 am to 8 pm each day. Pediatric visitors under age 2 are discouraged. Under special circumstances exceptions may be managed by the care team.
- Patients on Palliative Care/Comfort Measures: Two visitors at any one time, between 8 am to 8 pm. each day. Exceptions may be managed by the care team.
- End of Life in any inpatient area: Up to four family members at any one time may visit patients likely to expire within 24 hours (all areas) – visiting times are coordinated with the care team.
- PBMC PARC Unit: Refer to PARC unit specific visitation policy.
- Visitors may be restricted on units during infectious disease outbreaks as determined by hospital administration in consultation with Infection Prevention.
Outpatient Surgery and Procedural Areas, Emergency Department, Ambulatory and Diagnostic Areas:
- Adult patients may be accompanied by one visitor
- Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians, provided space is sufficient to meet patient care needs.
Patients with, or being evaluated for, COVID-19:
- Patients on precautions for COVID-19 may have visitors. Visitors will be offered an N95 respirator and are required to remain masked at all times while in the facility including the patient’s room. Visitation should be limited to close family members and/or essential support people as identified by the patient. After visiting, visitors must leave the facility (not staying in waiting rooms or the Café).
Those accompanying or visiting with patients in our inpatient and outpatient areas are asked to observe facility visitation policies for the safety and well-being of patients and care team members.
Visitors with sore throat, cough, shortness of breath or fever or who have had COVID-19 in the last 10 days are asked to wear a mask over mouth and nose in all locations or to reconsider visiting if it is not essential. Masks are available at entry points to the facility. Anyone is welcome to wear a mask if they choose.
During times of high patient volumes or high acuity it may be necessary to temporarily limit visitation to ensure everyone’s safety and well-being.
The hospital gift shop is located in the lobby and offers baby items, cards, stuffed animals, snacks and more. The shop is not-for-profit and all proceeds are donated to the hospital. Gift shop hours are: 10 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
The Best Café is located in the basement level of the hospital and is open from 6 am – 6:30 pm daily for sandwiches, snacks and beverages. Hot meals are available for breakfast from 6 am – 10 am, for lunch 11 am – 1:30 pm and for dinner from 4:45 – 6:30 pm. Visitors are asked to refrain from bringing food and drink for patients unless they check first with the nurse.
Vending machines are available for visitor use any time and are located on the first floor in the emergency department waiting room.
Free wireless internet access is available by connecting to the “mhguest” network on your laptop or mobile device.
MaineHealth is committed to providing you with transparent pricing information so you can make informed health care decisions. To speak with a patient financial services representative or request an estimate for services, please call 207-887-5100 (toll free 866-804-2499) Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. You can also visit CompareMaine.org to learn more.
Our goal is to provide you and your family with the best possible care. If you have any suggestions, questions or concerns, please let us know how we may better serve you. Our patient relations team can be reached at 207-301-8491. Our administrative offices can be contacted Monday-Friday 7:30 am – 4 pm by calling 207-505-4102.
To give you an opportunity to evaluate your care and to give us an opportunity to improve patient care, Waldo County General Hospital participates in a written Patient Perception of Care Survey. If you receive a survey in the mail, the staff at Waldo County General Hospital would appreciate it if you and your family complete the survey and return it in the envelope provided. All of your responses are confidential. Your suggestions may help us better serve you, your family and the community in the future.
At MaineHealth, the privacy of your health information is a top priority. All MaineHealth locations follow strict guidelines that secure your medical records in accordance with your rights, and with federal and state regulations. You, or your legal representative, have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of your medical records. We do not offer walk-in services but can provide records electronically, on paper, on a USB flash drive, or on a compact disc (CD). Upon request, we will also send a copy of your medical records to another health care provider.