Pen Bay Medical Center
Mother And Son Making Snow Angels

Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Care | Otolaryngology

Pen Bay Medical Center provides care comprehensive ear, nose and throat (ENT) care, close to home. Our ear, nose and throat doctors, also known as otolaryngologists, treat a variety of conditions in adults and children. From hearing loss and balance disorders to snoring and sleep apnea, they are skilled in both medical and surgical treatments.

Your family doctor may refer you to an ENT doctor when your condition warrants special care. ENT doctors work with primary care physicians, audiologists and medical assistants to diagnose and treat the full range of ear, nose and throat issues.

ENT Services

  • Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy for management of pediatric sleep apnea, snoring and chronic infections
  • Medical and surgical treatment for children and adults with chronic otitis media, otitis externa, Eustachian tube dysfunction and middle ear fluid
  • Endoscopic sinus surgery and medical management for individuals with ongoing sinus infections that are difficult to treat
  • Nasal and palate surgery for treatment of nasal obstruction, sleep apnea and snoring
  • Evaluation and management of gradual and sudden hearing loss, vertigo and tinnitus

Audiologic Services for Children & Adults

  • Comprehensive hearing evaluations
  • Balance evaluations
  • Hearing aid evaluations
  • Hearing Aid Fittings, Maintenance, and Follow up care

Hearing Loss & Hearing Testing

According to the National Council on Aging, about 15.5% (44.1 million) of American adults aged 20 and older have some level of hearing loss and 31.1% of people aged 65 and older experience hearing loss.

There are two types of hearing loss, sensorineural hearing loss and conductive hearing loss. Sensorineural hearing loss is the most common type of loss and is caused by damage to the inner ear often by noise exposure over time. Hearing aids are the most common treatment for sensorineural hearing loss.  Conductive hearing loss occurs when there is a blockage in the outer or middle ear. This type of hearing loss is often caused by fluid in the middle ear and requires a referral to an Ear, Nose, and Throat Physician. Conductive hearing loss can often be treated via medication or surgery. Both types of hearing loss can be diagnosed by an audiologist.  The first step is scheduling a hearing test. Audiologists must hold a graduate degree in Audiology. Current audiologists are required to obtain a doctorate of audiology (AuD). They are required to pass a demanding national competency examination. Audiologists will administer a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation and recommend the most appropriate treatment which may include hearing aids or a referral to an Ear, Nose, & Throat Physician.

Dizziness/Balance Disorders & Testing

VNG (Videonystagmography) testing can be completed to assess the function of the balance system. Sensations of dizziness can vary greatly and VNG testing can help to diagnose the source of dizziness. A VNG consists of many short tests that assess eye movements. A VNG can help determine if the balance system within the inner ear is functioning properly. This balance system is called the vestibular system.

There are many diagnoses associated with dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance. The most common type of vertigo is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV. BPPV is often referred to as positional vertigo. BPPV can be identified and treated by your audiologist to help alleviate symptoms.

Our Audiology Team

  • Sydney Meyrick, AuD, CCC-A
  • Jamie Schwepfinger, AuD, CCC-A, F-AAA

Please call 207-301-6379 for more information about audiology services.

Learn more about otolaryngology services at MaineHealth

Our Team

Special Interests: 

  • Otology 
  • Pediatric Otolaryngology 
  • Sinus Surgery

Special Interests:

  • Head & Neck Surgery
  • Pediatric Otolaryngology
  • Nasal & Sinus Surgery