Level 3 Epilepsy Care, Close to Home
Maine Medical Center Neuroscience and Maine Medical Partners (MMP) - Neurology provide compassionate, patient-centered care for adults and children with epilepsy. We are certified by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers as a level three care center and follow strict standards for the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy. From newly-diagnosed to complex/long-term conditions, our multi-disciplinary team works collaboratively to achieve the best possible health outcomes.
- Fellowship-trained epileptologists (neurologists with expertise in treating seizures)
- Epilepsy nurse practitioners and registered nurses
- Electroencephalography (EEG) technicians
- Patient navigators and social workers
Adult and Pediatric Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU)
Our inpatient EMU provides continuous audio-visual EEG monitoring under medical supervision for both children and adults. The care team uses EMU data to determine which medications and doses will help control a patient’s epilepsy and minimize seizures. When EMU data indicate that surgery is recommended, we perform respective and laser epilepsy surgery or device placement. For those patients requiring intracranial monitoring, referral to quarternary epilepsy care centers is arranged and coordinated with our epilepsy experts.
92 Campus Drive, Suite B, Scarborough, ME 04074
Phone: 207- 883-1414
Expert Medical, Neuropsychological and Psychosocial Care for People with Epilepsy
- Adult and pediatric epilepsy monitoring units with the latest technology in video and EEG monitoring
- A multi-disciplinary team for both adult and pediatric patients
- Specialty nurses
- EEG technicians
- Social workers
- Patient/family navigators
- Epilepsy surgery and procedure options:
- Resective surgery
- Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy (LITT)
- Vagal nerve stimulation
- Neuropace stimulation
- Advanced neuro-imaging techniques
- Access to clinical trials
- Advanced care, close to home
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
Vagal nerve stimulation
- Assessment/identification of patients who would benefit
- Implantation and management
Psychiatric consultation and social work services
- Neuropsychological testing
- Treatment of emotional disorders associated with chronic epilepsy
- Evaluation of those with psychogenic, nonepileptic seizures
- Medical social workers are available to address psychosocial stressors related to chronic epilepsy and can help to coordinate additional ancillary services if needed
- State of the art neuroimaging technology
- Certified neuroradiologists
- Evaluation of cerebral dysfunction
- Vocational or rehabilitative services through
- Occupational and physical therapy
Epilepsy is a neurologic condition that can case recurring seizures. It affects 1-2% of people. Each year, our epileptologists treat over 500 patients with epilepsy or suspected epilepsy.
Usually, patients' seizures can be successfully treated with anticonvulsant medications. However, approximately one third of people with newly-diagnosed epilepsy continue to experience seizures despite medication.
These patients require a specialized epilepsy center that can provide a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services.
MMC is the first hospital in the state of Maine to perform Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy (LITT). LITT is a minimally invasive procedure used to precisely target tumor tissue in patients with brain tumors. It can even cure patients with epilepsy. Watch this video to see how Grace’s life has changed.