While most adults who were born with congenital heart disease lead active lives, some may experience lifelong challenges. Complications related to congenital heart defects, abnormal heart rhythms, heart failure or deterioration of previous heart repairs require specialized care. The MaineHealth Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program offers personalized, lifelong care for adult patients with congenital heart disease — the only program of its kind in Northern New England.
Our expanded adult program offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient clinical services—from diagnosis to surgical repair. Adult congenital heart disease care may include surgery, electrophysiology and interventional procedures, along with coordinated care management by highly-trained clinical specialists as well as social workers.
There have been many breakthroughs in surgical treatment as well as non-surgical approaches to treating problems faced by adults with congenital heart disease. Our board-certified specialists can help congenital heart patients transition from pediatric to adult care. Our comprehensive program integrates pediatric and adult cardiologists all within the same hospital. View our latest innovation video series to learn more.
- Newly-diagnosed congenital heart defects such as atrial septal defects, ventricular septal defects and patent foramen ovale
- Complex congenital heart disease requiring care since childhood and now requiring transition to adult medical services
- Aortic diseases due to connective tissue disorders such as Marfans syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos, Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Coronary artery anomalies and Kawasaki’s disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Congenital Pregnancy
- Congenital cardiology diagnosis and management
- Advanced Imaging and diagnostics (including cardiac MRI and CT)
- Congenital arrhythmia management and electrophysiology
- Congenital cardiac catheterization
- Transcatheter interventions
- Congenital cardiac surgery
who has adult congenital heart disease, says, “I am beyond grateful.” Advances in diagnosis and treatment have allowed babies with congenital heart disease to survive well into adulthood.
Maine Medical Partners MaineHealth Cardiology
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
New patients require a doctor's referral. Please allow 3-4 hours for your visit (to be seen by various specialists and for tests).