Keeping you safe is our top priority. Don’t delay needed care. While our services may look different, MaineHealth remains committed to providing high-quality care, close to home. Learn more about new safety measures in place at all care locations.
As Maine's only ACS Level I verified trauma center, Maine Medical Center has met rigorous national standards established by the Trauma Committee of the American College of Surgeons to provide 24/7 specialist coverage for trauma care. Through the Neuroscience Institute, the medical center has further refined trauma and critical care for neuro patients, providing around-the-clock coverage to serve this complex population.
An integral aspect of the program is standardizing care for critically ill patients - adopting evidence-based, best-practice guidelines to optimize outcomes. For example, patients with traumatic brain injury are managed using guidelines from the American College of Neurosurgery and its Committee on Trauma, ensuring Maine Medical Center provides care with a consistent, unified approach. With a coordinated approach to care, a team of multidisciplinary clinicians, and adherence to evolving care pathways that incorporate sophisticated monitoring techniques, critically ill patients who ten years ago would not be expected to survive are today surviving with increasing frequency and regaining a remarkable level of independence.
Maine Medical Center's Neurocritical Care team delivers care that is among the best and most advanced in the U.S.
Extensive 24/7 surgical expertise from highly skilled, senior trauma/critical care and neurosurgical specialists with a broad background of experience - the largest, most comprehensive team of its kind in the state
- Use of innovative procedures such as targeted temperature management to control body temperature
- A standardized, well-coordinated care process, incorporating evidence-based, best-practice guidelines, to help ensure optimal outcomes
- Leading-edge technology including continuous EEG and cerebral oxygenation monitoring—capabilities that enhance the ability to look at brain activity in minimally conscious or comatose patients
- Early intervention by physiatry and rehabilitation specialists to address functional deficits as soon as possible, improving long-term outcomes
- A seamless transition to rehabilitation as part of Maine Medical Center's integrated, coordinated approach to care and close partnership with New England Rehabilitation Hospital of Portland
- The services of a specialized Neurosciences Patient and Family Liaison are available to provide expert, personalized and compassionate support to patients and their families throughout the continuum of care, in both inpatient and outpatient settings
Maine Medical Center's Neurocritical Care specialists treat these conditions in adults and children: