Apply & Contact
How to Apply
Residents in Internal Medicine-Pediatrics at Maine Medical Center are selected for training based on each applicant’s preparedness, ability, aptitude and academic qualifications as defined by the Program Director in consultation with the Internal Medicine-Pediatric Recruitment and Selection Committee. The Internal Medicine-Pediatric residency program has four categorical positions at the PGY-1 level.
- Current enrollment in or graduation from medical school within the past 5 years
- Submission of ERAS application, MSPE, all medical school transcripts, and personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation from physicians with whom you have worked directly (we do NOT require letters from categorical Chair of departments)
- Must have passed USMLE Step 1/COMLEX 1 for us to consider an application. We review Step 2/COMLEX 2 scores at time of ranking of applicants after interview season.
- Two months of “hands on” clinical training in an ACGME-approved Internal Medicine or Pediatric program (observerships do not fulfill this requirement)
- Certified or certification-eligible through the ECFMG (valid through the commencement of residency)*
- US citizenship, immigrant status or J-1 visa eligibility*
*Required for International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
Applicants must use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) to apply. Prior to being selected as a match applicant, each candidate must be interviewed in order to assess personal qualities such as motivation, integrity, leadership and fit with our program. Such interviews are scheduled at the discretion of the program leadership.
For the 2020-2021 interview season, all interviews will take place virtually (not in person). Interviews will be conducted from mid-November through mid-January. Our interview days will provide applicants with the opportunity to speak with residents, faculty, our administrative team, and leadership from the Departments of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics.
You can also find out more information about our program at the Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database Access System (FREIDA). Enter MMC's program code 7002232128 into the box in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
Kelly Barnes, C-TAGME
Internal Medicine-Pediatric Residency Program Manager
Phone: (207) 662-2405
Maine Medical Center Department of Pediatrics
22 Bramhall Street Room 1234
Portland, ME 04102