Wellness & Rehabilitation
The best care, where you need it
LincolnHealth Wellness & Rehabilitation provides high quality programs and services in both Damariscotta and Boothbay Harbor.
We work with you and your care team to provide personalized care that helps improve your quality of life.
What is Physical Rehabilitation?
Our caring staff of licensed therapists will help you build an activity program custom fit to your needs and conditions such as:
- Hip, knee, and shoulder joint pain and weakness
- Back and neck pain
- Work injuries, hand injuries, work conditioning, workstation ergonomics
- Stroke and other nervous system impairments
- Post-surgical weakness
- Fall prevention
- Pediatric developmental delay
- Speech and swallowing disorders
Therapies Available at LincolnHealth
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical Therapists treat people of all ages who have medical problems or conditions that limit their ability to move and perform activities in their daily lives.
We can also help improve your mobility and fitness by developing programs tailored to your needs. We often work with people recovering from surgery, returning home after a long illness or rehabilitating from an injury. Our physical therapists can also help you with:
- Conditions associated with pregnancy
- Incontinence and pelvic pain
- Chronic pain
- Pain related to jaw joint problems (TMJ)
- Pediatric issues
What is Occupation Therapy?
Occupational Therapy helps you maintain the highest level of independence by building skills needed for independent and satisfying lives.
- customized treatment programs to improve the ability to perform daily activities
- comprehensive home and job site evaluations to make the area safer
- recommendations for adaptive equipment and training to safely use it
What is Lymphedema?
Lymphedema is swelling caused by a build-up of lymphatic fluid in the tissues. It can be a result of surgery or radiation treatments for breast cancer or prostate cancer. It can also be caused by: other surgeries, trauma, infection or rare inherited conditions.
What is Lymphedema Therapy?
Our treatment begins with a thorough evaluation, including measuring the affected area. From there we work with you to determine a personalized plan based on your needs.
We also use treatment techniques including:
- A gentle type of massage that moves fluid from blocked pathways, reducing swelling, known as manual lymph drainage (MLD):
- A gradual compression of the affected area using special bandaging techniques and garments to reduce swelling and improve circulation
- Skin care, exercise and ongoing education
What is Aquatic Therapy?
As its name implies, Aquatic Therapy is an exercise program performed in the water and is offered at the Boothbay Region YMCA. It can help strengthen your muscles with less stress on your joints.
By using a pool that has different water depths and warm water, aquatic therapy promotes muscle relaxation, muscle strengthening and increased blood flow to injured areas. If you have an orthopedic injury, neurological conditions or are a pediatric patient, aquatic therapy might be for you.
Aquatic Therapy can help you:
- Improve flexibility
- Start exercising
- Improve awareness of body movement
- Lower risk of injury or re-injury during rehabilitation
- Enhance walking ability
What is Speech and Language Therapy?
Speech-Language Pathologists (speech therapists) evaluate and treat problems associated with speech, language, cognition and swallowing.
Speech Therapists can help you with:
- Communication and swallowing problems associated with traumatic brain injury, head and neck cancer, stroke, progressive neurological disorders, craniofacial anomalies, asthma and chronic pneumonia
- Pediatric speech, language, cognition and swallowing delays or disorders
- Adult speech, language, cognition and swallowing dysfunction following injury or disease
- Voice disorders
- Cognitive impairment