Keeping you safe is our top priority. Don’t delay needed care. While our services may look different, MaineHealth remains committed to providing high-quality care, close to home. Learn more about new safety measures in place at all care locations.
The Best Cancer Care, Close to Home
When you or someone you love has cancer or a blood disorder, you need the compassion and clinical excellence that will help you heal, both physically and emotionally. The cancer care and blood disorders services available to SMHC's patients are supported by professional clinical staff, community education and screenings, and quality assurance programs - all provided in a setting that is right where you want to be, close to home.
- Learn more about SMHC's Cancer Care Outcomes
- Read Dr. Peter Rubin's interview about Innovations in Cancer Treatment.
Nationally-Recognized Cancer CareSMHC's cancer program is nationally recognized for providing the best diagnosis and treatment of cancer while meeting the highest national standards of care. Our multi-disciplinary program is accredited at the highest levels by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer (CoC) and the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
Services Focused on Your Total Care
SMHC is a nationally accredited, award-winning healthcare system with compassionate caregivers providing excellent clinical care and services in partnership with MaineHealth – focused on the needs of the individual.
- Comprehensive screening, community outreach and educational programs
- State-of-the-art detection, diagnosis, treatment and support services
- Patient navigation services to alleviate barriers to care and services
- Multi-disciplinary approach to cancer care
- Medical and radiation oncologists
- Chemotherapy administered by certified oncology nurses
- Access to advanced cancer treatments through involvement in national research studies
- Genetic Counseling
- Integrated palliative care
- Survivorship support
- Licensed Social Worker
- Complimentary nutrition services
A Dedicated Cancer Care Team
In partnership with MaineHealth, our team of surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists and nurse navigators offer a multi-disciplinary approach to cancer care.
- Cynthia Chao, MD – Breast Care Surgical Specialist
- Peter Rubin, MD - Medical Oncologist
- Eva Zaslavsky, MD - Medical Oncologist
- JoAnna Slobodnjak, MD – Palliative Medicine
- Beth Hart, PA-C - Physician's Assistant
- Gretchen Gimbel, PA-C - Physician's Assistant
- Nicole Cantara, RN, MSN - Nurse Navigator
- Julie Davis, RN, BA, BSN - Nurse Navigator
- Helene Langley, RN, BS, CBCN, CN-BN, ONN-CG – Breast Nurse Navigator
- Katherine Lafferty, MS, CGC – Genetic Counselor
Cancer Care Web Resources
- MaineHealth Cancer Resource Center: mainehealthcancer.org
- Caring Bridge: caringbridge.org
- American Cancer Society: cancer.org
- CancerCare: cancercare.org
- National Cancer Institute: cancer.gov
- Association of Cancer Online Resources: acor.org
- American Society of Clinical Oncology: peoplelivingwithcancer.org
- Lance Armstrong Foundation: livestrong.org
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship: breakawayfromcancer.com
- National Society of Genetic Counselors: nsgc.org
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network: nccn.org