Southern Maine Health Care Rehabilitation Services offers evaluation, training, and education for those with balance or vestibular challenges. Balance stems from a complex integration of separate body systems: sensation, inner ear, musculoskeletal, and vision functions. When a person exhibits an impairment in one or all of these systems, it may affect their balance.
Have you ever experienced:
- Feelings of dizziness or spinning?
- Falls or loss of balance?
If so, you may benefit from our services. The goals of our program are to:
- Improve independence in the home and community
- Improve safety by reducing the risks of falls
- Overall improvement in quality of life
- Decrease dizziness with functional activities
At SMHC, your physical therapist and/or occupational therapist conduct a comprehensive assessment to determine what may be causing balance or vestibular impairments. Treatment is highly individualized based on the patient's specific needs and goals.
Treatment for balance and vestibular conditions may include:
- Assessment using Real Eyes video goggles
- Stretching and strengthening
- Balance and vestibular exercises
- Home modification and education
Schedule an Appointment
A physician's referral is required for treatment. For more information, or to make an appointment, please call central scheduling at 207-294-8030. More information on vestibular dysfunction is available at: vestibular.org.