Adolescent & Young Adult Medicine
MaineHealth providers understand the unique health issues and concerns of adolescents and young adults. We provide compassionate care for their physical, mental and emotional needs and encourage them to be actively involved in their health care.
What is adolescent and young adult medicine?
Adolescent and young adult medicine is a primary care service specifically for adolescent, pre-teen, and teenage patients, generally between 12 and 19 years old. Because patients in this age range may have complex health conditions, adolescent and young adult medicine also includes specialty care. Many of our family practices have providers who specialize in working with patients in this age group.
Annual Teen Wellness Exams
We encourage adolescent and young adult patients to visit us at least once per year for a general wellness and physical exam. During this appointment, we will do a complete health assessment to ensure that they are healthy and developing properly. Annual exams may include:
- Height and weight measurement
- Blood pressure check
- Vaccinations and booster shots to stay up to date on immunizations
- Mouth and teeth examination
- Eyesight and hearing tests
- Education about the risks of drugs, alcohol and sexual behavior
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections, if needed
- Discussion of any social or emotional concerns
If there are any signs or symptoms of illness or chronic disease, we will recommend follow-up visits and coordinate specialty care, if needed.