The surgeons at MaineHealth work to provide outstanding surgical care to children. At MaineHealth, we have pediatric surgeons who have special training in the unique needs of the youngest patients. Pediatric surgery is important as surgical problems in children often differ from those in adults. Our pediatric surgeons have the experience and qualifications to treat children.
What is pediatric surgery?
Pediatric surgery is defined as the diagnostic, operative, and postoperative surgical care of patients from prenatal diagnosis through young adult. Pediatric surgeons can performs surgery on a fetus while it is still in the womb, or on infants, children and adolescents. Surgery may be to correct a birth defect, repair an injury or treat an illness.
Pediatric surgery services
A range of pediatric surgeries are done based on a child’s health condition and needs.
- Treatment for hernia, hydrocele and undescended testicles
- Minimally invasive surgery of chest and abdomen (laparoscopy, thoracoscopy)
- Newborn surgery
- Correction of cardiac abnormalities
- Gastrointestinal surgery (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Long-term bowel management
- Children's cancer surgery
- Lumps in the neck
- Chest wall defects (pectus)