Diabetes Prevention Program
Want to learn how to eat healthier and be more active? Join the MaineHealth Diabetes Prevention Program.
What is the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)?
The DPP helps people lower their chance of developing type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems, like heart disease or stroke. Designed for people who have been diagnosed with prediabetes, or who are at risk and want to make a healthy lifestyle change, this national program will help you:
- Develop skills to make healthier choices
- Get the long-term support you need to stick with the changes
- Feel better and inspire your friends and family to do the same!
What can I expect?
- Expert guidance: A trained lifestyle coach will share knowledge and tools to help you reduce stress, get more physical activity, and eat healthier. You will learn how to become a calorie detective, how to fit physical activity into a busy schedule, and much more.
- A supportive community: You don't have to do this alone. Group support and discussion with others who share similar goals and struggles will help keep it fun!
- Results: This is a year-long program focused on permanent lifestyle changes. Weekly check-ins will help you stay on track and provide an opportunity to reconnect with your coach and peers. A year may sound like a long commitment, but learning new skills, creating new habits and gaining confidence takes time. As you become more active and start eating better, you’ll notice changes in how you look and feel.