Maine Children's Cancer Program
Maine Children's Cancer Program is honored to share its extensive expertise, resources and compassionate care with our young patients and their families. You can rely on our team for a complete range of services designed for the unique needs of children diagnosed with cancer and blood disorders.
Our pediatric physicians and our expert nurses specialize in cancer (oncology) and blood diseases (hematology). Social workers and research associates are also part of your child’s care team.
In addition to providing outstanding clinical care, the Maine Children’s Cancer Program has a very strong research program. We are members of Children's Oncology Group - the leading childhood cancer research organization. Maine Children’s Cancer Program’s active involvement in the group’s clinical research trials offers our patients access to the latest and best therapies.
Our program takes advantage of the full range of advanced, state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment resources available at Maine Medical Center, Maine’s leading acute hospital. Those resources include:
- Diagnostic technology
- World-class team of radiologists to read and interpret results
- PET/CT and MR spectroscopy
- Specialized pathology services, including Maine's only hospital-based, onsite molecular diagnostics lab, which helps with early detection and diagnosis, and allows for more targeted and personalized treatments
- Advanced technology and techniques for the care and treatment of young cancer patients, ranging from medical oncology, to surgery, to radiation therapy. Maine Medical Center is the only American College of Radiology accredited radiation therapy facility in Maine, and home to the state's only pediatric neurosurgeon
- Innovative treatment therapies as a result of our participation in the Children's Oncology Group's clinical trials
- Outstanding inpatient care at Maine Medical Center's Barbara Bush Children's Hospital, the only children's hospital in Maine
- Maine Medical Center's pediatric intensive care unit, providing referral and advanced care from a full team of intensivists (doctors with critical care training), sub specialists, and critical care nurses
- The most current forms of pain management to help improve each child's care and quality of life