Thank you for your interest in volunteering at MMC. Our Adult Volunteers are homemakers, college students, retirees, and business people who are 18 years of age or older.
Completing our volunteer orientation is mandatory and the first step in becoming a volunteer. Placement is made on the basis of hospital needs and a determination of a good match between the individual and the assignment. The safety and care of our patients is the driving force of volunteer placement. To learn more about the Volunteer Program, please view our Volunteer Opportunities & Locations.
Before you proceed, ask yourself these questions to ensure that you are able to fulfill the role of a volunteer.
- Am I 18 years of age or older?
- Am I able to commit to 3-4 hours a week for at least six months?
- Do I enjoy working in new situations, taking on different duties, or helping in additional ways based on the needs of the people around me?
- Do I agree to submit to a criminal background check?
- Am I comfortable in a health care setting?
- If English is a second language, have I reached ESL Proficiency Level 4?
- Do I hold a valid U.S. Social Security Number?
If you answer "no" to any, it is possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer. If you answer "yes" to all then please continue on to our steps for getting started below.
Complete our online orientation, evaluation/checklist and application:If you have trouble viewing the PDF document above and are using an older version of Internet Explorer, please try again with a different browser.
If you need assistance, please call Volunteer Services at (207) 662-2205.
We are fortunate to receive many volunteer applications. If an opportunity is available we will contact you with next steps.
Maine Medical Center is committed to keeping our environment safe for our patients, staff, volunteers and visitors. Each year we ask you, as MMC volunteers, to review the key principles from the hospital’s most important policies.
It is required that all volunteers complete this annual review.
- Read the Annual Safety & Policy Review
- Complete the Volunteer Annual Review Self-Test
- Print and sign the Confidentiality Agreement
- Complete the Hand Hygiene Education
Return forms to:
Maine Medical Center
22 Bramhall Street
Portland, ME 04102
Fax: (207) 662-4123 or
Questions? Call Volunteer Services at 207-662-2205.
Volunteer Information Center (password required, active volunteers only)
Leave of Absence Policy
Flu Vaccine Information
Hand Hygiene & Disinfection Policy
Handrub & Handwash Chart
MMC Bramhall Campus Map
Monthly Offsite Time Sheet
Therapy Dog Program Health Certificate & Owner Waiver Form
Adult Abuse and Neglect Training
Pediatric Abuse and Neglect Training