Electives & International Opportunities
A 4 week elective is scheduled in the PGY3 year. Residents may choose a variety of elective educational opportunities, based on their unique educational needs. All elective rotations need to be set up in advance with clear educational goals and objectives and a mentor who will evaluate the resident performance at the end.
Some examples of previous elective rotations:
- Fellowship 'showcase' months in Gyn Oncology, Family Planning, Urogynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology
- Rotations to explore post-residency practice opportunities such as rural months (in Maine and elsewhere), or local community “job auditions”. Residents have similarly travelled to Michigan, Hawaii, Iowa and other potential future employment opportunities.
- International Rotations to pursue interest and skills in global health. Past residents have gone to India, Nepal, and Botswana amongst other sites.
Global Health Opportunities
The department and the residency program have a long history and tradition of international medical mission trips sponsored by the former chairman of the department and frequently supported by additional faculty members. Senior level residents in good standing may be afforded the opportunity to participate in these trips if they wish. These are not required.
- To care for complex Gynecologic and Obstetric problems with increased autonomy in a third world, low resource setting.
- To experience the challenges and rewards of international medicine.
Prior experiences have included Peru, Bangladesh, and Ethiopia amongst others. The program will continue to support these efforts within the scope of the entire program.