What do our Residents do after Residency?
One of the core missions of this program is to train and prepare our graduates for any opportunities they wish to pursue in Obstetrics and Gynecology upon completion of residency. We have been very successful in achieving this goal.
Graduates choose to pursue wide and varied career paths that may include fellowship training and we are equally proud of everyone’s success and equally committed to preparing all graduates for their preferred career path. Many of our graduating residents choose to practice medicine in Maine, in rural communities as well as in the greater Portland area. Recent graduates have established practice in many states across the country, including Alaska, Washington, California, South Dakota, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and throughout New England. Some of these graduates choose to remain active in academics, teaching residents and medical students, including a large number practicing locally who have joined our community based faculty as well as several of our full time faculty.
We have been very successful with our recent fellowship placement rate. In the last 10 years we have placed residents in:
- GYN Oncology (4): Magee Women’s Hospital, Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital, UC Davis, NYU
- Maternal-Fetal-Medicine (2): Mayo Clinic, Tufts
- Pelvic Reconstruction/Urogynecology (2): Massachusetts General Hospital (2)
- Reproductive Endocrinology: Beth Israel –Deaconess, University of Alabama
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology: University of Alabama
- Minimally Invasive Gynecology: CHI Memorial - Chattanooga
- Gynecologic Infectious Disease: Magee Women’s Hospital