MaineHealth Food as Medicine at Franklin
Join our Food as Medicine Program
MaineHealth is offering a FREE one-year program to help people improve their health with nutritious food and lifestyle changes. Eating healthy foods can help with conditions like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. Your journey toward better health can start today!
- Free healthy food: 10 meals each week!
- Healthy cooking classes, recipes, and menu planning with a Registered Dietitian.
- Connect with and support others in your community.
- Resources to help manage your health conditions.
Who can join? This free program is for people who:
- Are age 18+
- Have a chronic health condition (like type 2 diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol or high blood pressure)
- Live in Greater Franklin County and its surrounding communities
- Have a MaineHealth primary care provider (includes Franklin Memorial Hospital medical staff)
- Have limited access to affordable, healthy food
- Want to make healthy lifestyle changes
MaineHealth is partnering with Good Shepherd Food Bank to offer hospital-affiliated food pantries in Farmington and Norway, Maine. Establishing food pantries as part of our services as a health care organization is a natural part of our continuum of care in our communities.In Maine, one out of every five children and one out of every ten people are food insecure. Food insecurity means not having reliable access to affordable, healthy food. Our goal is to offer a variety of fresh, frozen, and shelf-stable foods free for our care team members, patients, and their entire households. We know that many Mainers have a hard time accessing food and we hope this resource will give those in need reliable access to food that supports their health and wellbeing.
Food insecurity makes a person more likely to develop a chronic disease, making it harder to manage disease. Those using our food pantry will be identified through a screening process in our practices and hospital departments and referred to the program.
Visitors will find the pantry welcoming and confidential, with helpful staff and healthy food options, including local produce. Our team will talk with you about your household needs and provide you with one week’s worth of food per visit.
The MaineHealth Food Pantry at Franklin is located at 105 Mt. Blue Circle, Suite 2, Farmington, ME 04938 - 500 feet down the road from Franklin Memorial Hospital on Rt. 2. The driveway to parking is to the right of the building, which will bring referred patients and employees to the pantry’s main entrance at the back of the building.
Open HoursMonday, Wednesday, and Friday: 10am-2pm
By appointment, call 207-779-2150