What Is Extra Life?
Extra Life is a way to raise funds for The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital (BBCH) by playing games! Extra Life is a Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMN) program, and unites thousands of gamers around the world to play games and help kids at local CMN Hospitals. BBCH is your local CMN Hospital. You can Extra Life for BBCH by playing board games, video games, outdoor games, or whatever you like to play. Play on your own schedule (any day or time), and/or participate in an Extra Life event.
It's easy to get started:
- Commit to playing games to help kids at BBCH
- Ask your friends and family to support your fundraising efforts
Extra Lifers Are Heroes at BBCH:
BBCH sees more than 100,000 patients each year. No child is turned away, regardless of their family’s ability to pay. Your gaming makes a difference. Funds raised through Extra Life support equipment, programs, research and care. Check out these examples of what community donations—like those raised by Extra Lifers—have made possible at BBCH:
- MRI’s can be loud, feel a bit claustrophobic, and last an hour or more. Donations were used to purchase two MRI Entertainment Systems at BBCH, demonstrated by our friend Brayden, to make the MRI experience more comfortable!
- When a typical cold became life-threatening for Emily, she needed a higher level of care provided by the BBCH pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). BBCH opened our new, state-of-the-art PICU in 2016, and much of the funding came from generous community donations.
- Evan’s story will introduce you to therapeutic hypothermia (TH). BBCH purchased innovative therapeutic hypothermia equipment thanks to community donations.
- J.J. spent the first 6 months of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), and is featured in not one but two BBCH videos! Community donations support BBCH NICU participation in cutting-edge research through the Vermont Oxford Network—helping to improve neonatal care in Maine and around the world.
Sign up at Extra-Life.org, and in just a few minutes you’ll have your own personalized Extra Life page ready to share. Don’t forget to choose to play in support of The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital! 100% of the funds you raise will stay local and help kids cared for at BBCH.
Get Your Business Involved
You can participate in Extra Life as an individual, but it’s also a great way to engage your team at work:
- Recruit and Promote: Host an Extra Life recruitment event or share information about Extra Life with your employees and customers.
- Play: Form a company Extra Life team. You might play some virtual trivia, offer a monthly board game afternoon in the break room, host a customer BBQ with lawn games, or include employees who game in their free time.
- Sponsor: Become a business sponsor of the Extra Life program at BBCH. Contact Meaghan for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
100% of the funds raised by the awesome Extra Lifers who game for BBCH stay local and directly benefit The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital. Since 2012, Extra Life players have raised over $600,000 to support BBCH!
In addition, a dozen Extra Lifers have each personally raised more than $10,000 each for BBCH! Check out our BBCH Extra Life Wall of Fame!