I am greatly honored to lead the Department of Medicine at Maine Medical Center (MMC). With nearly 500 physicians and advanced practice practitioners, we have evolved into the largest department at MaineHealth.
Our team of diverse and dynamic leaders is dedicated to professional wellness and excellence in education, research and patient care. There are 17 academic divisions, five service lines, and nine graduate medical education (GME) programs in the Department of Medicine, including an internal medicine residency program, an internal medicine-pediatrics residency program, and fellowships in cardiovascular medicine, geriatrics, infectious diseases, nephrology, palliative medicine, hematology-oncology and pulmonary-critical care.
Our faculty members hold academic ranks at Tufts University School of Medicine and key roles in the Department of Medical Education. The Department of Medical Education hosts the Journal of Maine Medical Center where articles explore a broad range of topics including health care innovation, interprofessional healthcare and education, rural medicine and professional engagement and development.
The department also has a strong footprint in research and discovery in the basic, clinical and translational sciences. Faculty members in the department hold more than 40 NIH grants and lead more than 200 clinical trials in close collaboration with the Maine Health Institute for Research (MHIR).
Most importantly, our department is characterized by the quality of its people, positive culture and core values. I invite you to learn more about us by exploring our website!
Aji Djamali, MD, MS, FACP, FASN
Professor and Maurice S. Segal, MD, Chair of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine
Chair, Department of Medicine, MMC
Join Our Team!
Did you know that MaineHealth was recognized as one of America's Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes? If you’re looking to build a career with a supportive, dynamic team, explore our open positions today.
More About our Department
The mission of the Department of Medicine is to deliver equitable and exceptional health care to the people of Maine by a team of diverse and dynamic leaders dedicated to professional wellness and excellence in education, research and patient care.
To be the department where everyone wants to work!
Our department's Mission, Vision and Values align with those of the overall MaineHealth system. Learn more >
- Vice Chair (VC) for Education and Professional Development
- Department of Medicine (DOM) Education Council
- DOM Council for Professional Development, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- The VC for Ed/PD and the Councils will assess, analyze, and lead processes with measurable outcomes to promote the sense of belonging, ally-ship, individualized professional growth and dynamic leadership for all members of the department
New Infrastructure (in addition to the above)
- Vice Chair for Research
- DOM Research Council
- The VC for Research and the Research Council will assess, analyze and lead processes to integrate pre-existing research programs with ongoing academic efforts, and to promote state-of-the-art translational research for learners, faculty and staff
- The two VCs will lead collaborative efforts to expand and enhance our UME, GME and Continuous interprofessional Development (CiPD) programs across the department
- Department leadership team will lead efforts with MaineHealth to integrate non-clinical care team members with academic tracks and a fair and equitable compensation plan
- The Promotions Team and Department Chair will sponsor fair and equitable academic promotions for faculty and staff
Staffing, Space and Facilities
- DOM Staff and Space Council
- Council will assess the unmet needs for space and staffing and advocate on behalf of the department with MaineHealth
Community support of the Department of Medicine Innovation and Engagement Fund is an investment in the providers we need most to innovate and provide exceptional care for patients in Maine and northern New England. Donate Now >
MaineHealth Institute for Research
The MaineHealth Institute for Research (MHIR) supports a broad spectrum of research — from basic laboratory-based research through translational research, which works to apply basic discoveries to medical problems, to clinical research, which studies the application of new drugs, devices and treatment protocols, to health services research which seeks to use research methods to help improve and evaluate health care delivery programs and new technologies.
MMC Department of Education
Maine Medical Center (MMC) is a highly-respected academic institution with a vibrant faculty and world-class training facilities. We have a long, proud tradition of medical teaching - extending back to the founding of the hospital in 1874.