Advanced care for growing nervous systems
The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital (BBCH) at Maine Medical Center is home to an exceptional depth and breadth of pediatric neurology diagnostic and treatment expertise. We are Maine’s only hospital with board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric neurologists, epileptologists (epilepsy specialists) and neurosurgeons. Our multidisciplinary care team uses the latest advances in research and technology to diagnose, treat and manage a wide range of pediatric neurologic disorders.
We also offer several specialty clinics dedicated to the comprehensive care of children with neurological conditions such as:
Expert pediatric neurology services, close to home
Our pediatric neurology program offers:
- A coordinated, multidisciplinary approach to care that includes the referring physician and family members
- Dedicated education and support resources for patients and their families, including specialized neurology Patient and Family Liaisons who provide expert, personalized support throughout the continuum of care
- Access to clinical trials and research studies that are advancing the field of pediatric neurological care
Our pediatric neurologists are on the leading edge of medical and technological advances for treating children with neurological conditions. Services include:
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) therapy for such conditions as spasticity and dystonia
- Intrathecal baclofen pump (IBP) management to help decrease spasticity related to multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries and other neurological diseases
- Referral and co-management for surgical conditions with Maine’s only pediatric neurosurgeon
- Vagal nerve stimulation (VNS)
We offer advanced diagnostic capabilities to perform comprehensive evaluations for pediatric patients such as:
- State-of-the art MRI services, bi-plane cerebral angiography, nuclear medicine investigation and MR spectroscopy
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) to record the brain's electrical activity and help distinguish types of seizures and where in the brain they begin
- Ambulatory EEG to help distinguish epileptic seizures from non-epileptic seizures by monitoring brain activity over several days
- Electromyography (EMG) in adolescent patients
- Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) in adolescent patients
Our colleagues in developmental and behavioral pediatrics help to evaluate and manage these disorders as well as autism spectrum disorders.
Become a patient
Talk to your pediatrician about a referral to our practice for yourself or a loved one.
Refer a patient
Providers, please view our referral guidelines and call 207-883-1414 to make a patient referral.
MaineHealth providers may refer through EPIC:
- MMP ADULT PED NEURO REF46 - AMB Referral to Neurology