What is urogynecology?

Urogynecologists treat benign pelvic floor disorders. They are OB-GYNs with additional training and subspecialty board-certification in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS).

What are pelvic floor disorders?

Pelvic floor disorders include urinary and fecal disorders, and pelvic organ prolapse. These conditions can greatly affect your quality of life. The specialists at MaineHealth include urogynecologists and highly-specialized nurse practitioners. Working together, they use a multi-disciplinary approach to delivering expert, team-based care.

What is the pelvic floor?

Your pelvic floor includes the muscles, ligaments and connective tissue in the lower pelvis that provide support to your body and help your organs function properly. Weakness, damage, or nerve dysfunction in the pelvic floor can affect your bladder, uterus, vagina, and rectum.

There are different causes for female pelvic floor disorders. The following can increase your risk of developing a pelvic floor disorder:

  • Pregnancies and vaginal deliveries
  • Genetics
  • Aging and menopause
  • Excessive pressure on the pelvic floor (obesity, chronic cough, chronic constipation, heavy lifting and/or straining)

Common symptoms of pelvic floor disorders may include:

  • Bulge at or past the vaginal opening
  • Urinary urgency and frequency
  • Difficulty or pain with urination
  • Urinary incontinence (loss of bladder control)
  • Fecal incontinence (loss of bowel control)
  • Difficulty evacuating your stools and/or need to press your stool out

How do you treat pelvic floor disorders?

There are a variety of treatment options depending on your specific condition(s). Treatment may include non-surgical and/or surgical approaches. Talk to your health care provider about your symptoms. 

Primary care is your first stop for health care.

MaineHealth primary care providers (PCPs) are specially trained to care for you and your family.  PCPs diagnose and treat routine medical problems and refer patients on to specialty care providers when needed.  

Pelvic Specialty Care

If you are bothered by pelvic floor symptoms, ask your PCP for a referral to the Maine Medical Partners Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery specialty care practice.