Maine Medical Center Limits Adult Inpatients to One Visitor Daily
August 07, 2021
PORTLAND, Maine – Maine Medical Center announced today that it would limit visitation for adult inpatients to one visitor, daily, effective Monday, Aug. 9.
Those visiting adult inpatients may only make one visit during the day, though there is no limit to visit duration, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
These changes are aimed at protecting MMC’s patients and care team members as community transmission of COVID-19 begins to rise.
Other parts of MMC’s visitation policy remain unchanged at this time:
- Pediatrics and Obstetrics: There will be no limit to how many visitors a patient can have, though we will only allow two visitors at a time, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing. Please visit www.bbch.org/Patients-Visitors for information on visiting The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital and mmc.org/services/family-birth-center for more information on visiting the Family Birth Center.
- Emergency Department: One person is permitted to accompany adult patients and two parents or guardians may accompany pediatric patients, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing. Exceptions may be made for care plan discussions as arranged with the Care Team or for end of life.
- Ambulatory/Diagnostic Areas: Adult patients should arrange for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Exceptions can be made in advance for patients who do not live locally. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing.
- COVID-19 Units: No visitors except for compassionate care, to be managed by the Care Team.
- Exception: Visitation for end-of-life situations will be managed by the Care Team.
MMC continues to require masking in its facilities and social distancing and hand hygiene whenever possible.
About Maine Medical Center
Maine Medical Center (MMC), recognized as a Best Regional Hospital by U.S. News and World Report for 2020-2021, is a complete health care resource for the people of Greater Portland and the entire state, as well as northern New England. Incorporated in 1868, MMC is the state’s largest medical center, licensed for 637 beds and employing more than 9,600 people. MMC's unique role as both a community hospital and a referral center requires an unparalleled depth and breadth of services, including an active educational program and a world-class biomedical research center. As a nonprofit institution, Maine Medical Center provides nearly 23 percent of all the charity care delivered in Maine. MMC is part of the MaineHealth system, a growing family of health care services in northern New England. For more information, visit www.mmc.org.