Apply & Contact
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @MaineMedSurgery
MMC participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). For the 2022-2023 interview season (PGY-1 starting July 2023), applications will be accepted ONLY through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We will not consider applications submitted via other means, such as email or US post. This process selects all PGY-1 residents in the institution. The general surgery residency program has four categorical positions, one non-designated preliminary position in general surgery and one designated preliminary position for interventional radiology.
To be considered, we require your application, personal statement, dean’s letter, transcripts, USMLE scores (we do not accept COMLEX) and three letters of recommendation. We will accept applications between September 1 and November 1, 2022.
A holistic review of all qualified applications will be completed. Holistic reviews are broad-based and address factors the recruitment team considers essential for achieving the missions of our residency and Maine Medical Center. These factors are used by the recruitment team in each step of evaluating an applicant and provide the framework for the content of the residency interview.
Our Interview Decision Criteria
- The candidate should have demonstrated a commitment to service or underserviced populations.
- The candidate must have had direct (“hands on”) clinical experience for at least one year within the past 3 years in a hospital in the United States, United Kingdom or Canada. Maine Medical Center only accepts J1 visas for non-US citizens.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- USMLE scores are reviewed as part of the holistic review of an applicant’s file. We do not have minimum requirements, but rather seek to understand an applicant’s scores within the context of the entire application. We do not accept or review COMLEX scores.
Please note that this information is provided as a guideline for you to determine how much your background matches what we are looking for in a resident, as well as how likely our program is to meet your needs. We are unable to predict how likely it is that you will be invited for an interview, nor your chances of being selected for NRMP ranking.
- September 28, 2022: Recruitment team begins reviewing each applicant’s file via ERAS
- Friday, October 14, 2022, 12:00 pm EST: Pre-release of interview offers sent out via Thalamus to applicants with whom we have a firsthand relationship* and a select number of other applicants
- *First hand relationship: someone who has completed a clinical rotation with us, or has a direct working relationship with a resident or faculty member of the general surgery program.
- Please note, we do not offer observerships.
- Friday, October 28, 2022, 12:00 pm EST: Second group of interview offers set out via Thalamus
- Friday, November 11, 2022, 12:00 pm EST: Final interview offers sent out via Thalamus
- Please note, your interview offer group placement (10/14, 10/28 or 11/11) bears no weight in the interview process.
- Friday, November 11, 2022: Applicants not selected to interview will be notified of their status via ERAS.
- November, 2022 – January, 2023: Interview dates (see below)
- November, 2021 – January, 2022: Interview dates (see below)
In accordance with institutional policy for 2023-2024 graduate medical education recruitment, all of our interviews will be conducted virtually. We use Thalamus as our recruitment platform. For those applicants wanting to get some exposure to our program, our hospital and our city, we will hold several, non-evaluative, open houses during the month of February. We will have certified our rank list prior to the open houses, as the in-person visit to Maine Medical Center is intended solely to assist the applicants in their rank list decisions.
- Ten (10) interview dates
- From mid-November to mid-January
- Two days per week – times to be determined
- No interviews are scheduled between December 9th and January 5th.
- Our residents will be available at the end of your virtual interview for Q&A.
- We will continue to offer interviews until our dates are filled.
- We will not offer more interviews than we have available interview slots.
- With the caveat that invited applicants have 72 hours to respond to offer of an interview
Wait List Details
- Once all interview dates are filled, we will offer a small number of applicants a place on the wait list for when there are inevitable cancellations
- Applicants who receive an interview from the wait list are at no disadvantage to anyone else interviewing with the program
- For those on the wait list, we will communicate interview openings throughout the interview season (sometimes on quite short notice)
Please feel free to contact the Residency Program Manager at any time through the application process.
Surgical Residency Program Manager