Life in Portland
Called the “Jewel by the Sea” by its celebrated native, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Portland combines vibrant city life with natural beauty and abundant recreation opportunities. Located on the shores of Casco Bay - with easy access to beautiful beaches, lakes, and mountains - Portland offers an ideal lifestyle.
Residents enjoy world-class restaurants, breweries and shopping as well as excellent school systems and cultural institutions. The nationally-acclaimed Portland Symphony Orchestra performs in the beautiful Merrill Auditorium. And the impressive Portland Museum of Art is home to works by Picasso, Whistler, Wyeth, and Chagall.
The Cross Insurance Arena presents concerts, ice shows, circuses, and semi-pro hockey and local music venues such as the historic State Theatre offer something for everyone. Sports fans crowd Hadlock Field on summer nights to cheer on minor league baseball team the Portland Sea Dogs.
- Livability.com: Ranks Portland as one of the top 5 best places to live in the country
- Live/Work Portland: Learn more about living and working in Portland
- Portland Food Map: The definitive guide to Portland's food scene
Things to Do
- Acadia National Park
- Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race
- Maine Audubon Society
- Maine Island Trail Association
- Maine Outdoors
- Maine State Parks
- Portland Trails
- Rangeley Lakes Region
- Sebago Lakes Region
- Visit Maine
- New England Mountain Biking Association
- 7 Must-Ride Mountain Bike Trails in Maine