Complete Blood Count | CBC
Your health care provider may order a complete blood count (CBC) test to better understand your overall health.
What is a CBC test?
A CBC test can be used screen for a range of conditions and diseases, such as bleeding problems, leukemia, infection, anemia and others. It is a panel of blood tests that check on three types of cells found in your blood.
- White blood cells, which help fight off infection
- Red blood cells, which carry oxygen to different parts of your body
- Platelets, which help your blood clot
Why do I need a CBC test?
A complete blood count is a very common test usually associated with an annual exam. Your health care provider may also order this test if:
- You are feeling tired, bruising or bleeding, feeling weak or showing other signs of infection
- You are having special medical treatment that can affect blood cell counts
- You have been diagnosed with a disease that affects blood cells