Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Training Program
Take the first step toward your future!
Sign up for CASAS Reading Assessment today!
We'll Support You All The Way!
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) are caregivers who provide patients assistance with activities of daily living and basic needs. CNAs help patients feel safe and comfortable throughout their hospital stay. These direct caregivers are instrumental members of the Maine Medical Center team.
Becoming a CNA is a great place to start your medical career! Maine Medical Center offers a CNA Program which is sponsored and paid for by MMC’s Center for Clinical and Professional Development in conjunction with Portland Adult Education. The program, offered several times a year, includes classroom work, skills labs and clinical experience. This 7-week program consists of 26 to 28 hours of training over 4 days per week. Another class will begin in January 2022. Students are paid at a rate of $16 per hour plus benefits while they are in class and clinicals.
Program participants are required to work at MMC in the role of a CNA upon successful completion of the course.
CNA training covers:
- Age-specific care through the lifespan
- Safe patient care delivery
- Infection control principles and practices
- Body mechanics and mobility skills
- Communication skills
- Assisting with activities of daily living
- Nutrition and assisting patients with meeting nutritional needs
- Common health problems and nurse assistant care
- CPR and Basic Life Support (BLS)
In the skills labs, students practice taking vital signs, assisting with patient mobility, and patient hygiene skills. The clinical experience allows students to work with patients on nursing units at MMC. Textbooks and workbooks are provided to students at no charge.
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and be a US citizen or have work authorization to be considered. A person cannot be a CNA in Maine if he/she has been convicted of theft or abuse in a health care setting, sexual abuse, or a crime for which one could have received a 3-year sentence.
If you have questions about becoming a CNA in Maine, please contact the Maine CNA Registry at 800-791-4080 or visit their website. Note: the CNA Registry does not have information about MMC’s program.
In order to be considered for our CNA course, you must take and pass the CASAS reading assessment with a score of 247 or above. You must then attend a virtual Information Session (date to be determined).
To register for the CASAS reading assessment, please click here. Several assessment times are offered at MMC; please choose one. Because of COVID-19, seating is limited and you must wear a face mask. Please let us know if you register and then will not be able to attend so another applicant can have that seat. Please allow 75 minutes to complete the assessment.
Applicants who score 247 or higher on the CASAS will receive details about how to participate in the Information Session.
You can begin collecting the materials now to submit to the Program (see below). We’ll let you know how and when to submit them.
MMC CNA Program, Martha Davoli
22 Bramhall St., CCPD, Rm 2645
Portland ME 04102
Applications may be dropped of by arrangement: request at email@example.com
CNA TRAINING PROGRAM APPLICATION:
- Completed application (pages 1-5)
- One (1) photocopy of driver's license or State ID card (or other form of ID with your photo, signature, and proof of age)
- One (1) photocopy of social security card
- Photocopy of proof of high school graduation or equivalency
- Two (2) professional written references in sealed envelopes from people in leadership capacity only: for example, current and past supervisors. If you have not been employed for the last few years, another source of character reference such as a teacher, volunteer group leader, or clergy is acceptable. Reference letters may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to submit photos or photocopies of documents that we can keep; we will not be able to make copies for you.
Reach the CNA Training Program at MMC at 662-2483 or email@example.com.
We look forward to meeting you!