Apply & Contact
MMC participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and all PGY-1 residents in the institution are selected by this process. We accept applications only through the use of Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We ask each applicant to make every effort to get all materials to us by mid-October.
Within two weeks of receiving your completed application, we will notify you via ERAS about whether or not we are able to offer you a personal interview. Meeting our criteria does not guarantee an interview offer. If an interview is offered, the notification will request that you call the department to arrange the interview. Interviews are offered from October through January on Thursdays, Fridays and some Wednesdays.
The interview days are designed to be satisfying opportunities to discuss the program with the residents and faculty and to tour the hospital and clinics. The residents host multiple interview dinners each week to welcome our interviewees in a fun and enjoyable environment.
Interested applicants can review the MMC policy on visas, stipends and benefits, and review a sample MMC contract on the Department of Medical Education page.
- Deans letter
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts - must pass Step1 and Step 2 with maximum of two attempts
- 3-4 letters of recommendation (at least two of which must be from attending physicians you have worked with at a U.S. teaching hospital)
- International medical graduates must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Graduation from medical school within the past 2 years
- Minimum of 12 months U.S. clinical experience
- We accept J-1 visas only
Medical Education Program Manager
Family Medicine Center
272 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Phone: (207) 662-7351
The MMC FMR does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, ability/disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, military status, geographic region, or any other applicable protected status.