The anesthesiology residency at MMC is is a categorical program. Due to large clinical volume, we have been approved to increase our class size to eight new anesthesia residents per year starting this recruitment season.
From the beginning, interns are included in department activities. They attend didactic session when possible. They rotate within the internal medicine department and have several rotations within the anesthesia department. Interns begin their boot camp during June of their intern year
At a Glance:
- 20 Residents - small program - increasing to 32 residents over the next 4 years
- High clinical case load volume
- Over 50 staff anesthesiologists
- MMC – Referral base for over 1.3 million people from Maine and New Hampshire
- Over 600 beds, 54 anesthetizing locations
- Only Level I trauma center in Maine, largest north of Boston
- Regional leader – open heart surgery, kidney transplantation, pediatric surgery, OB and Neurosurgery
- Residents assigned advisors during PGY1 year.
- Meetings with advisors and program director every (6) months to assess progress and career plans
- State of the art simulation center
- Affiliated with Tufts University School of Medicine
- 100% Board pass rate
- Maine Medical Center prioritizes resident well-being.
- One of the only programs in the nation to provide call breaks to residents during their 24 hour call shift, Monday-Friday.
- PGY 1 Residents are given a day off during the beginning of the PGY1 year to allow them to set up appointment with local providers.
- CA1- CA3 residents allowed one didactic afternoon (when nothing else is scheduled) for appointments or other needed life balance activities
- Portland lifestyle – encourages wellness
- World-class hiking, sailing, skiing, and beaches, to name but a few, make this an attractive area in which to live and work.
- Low cost of living and wide range of choices spanning both urban and rural
- Either renting or purchasing a home is manageable on a resident salary
- Residents receive discounted ski passes at Shawnee Peak
- Ability to rent sailboats through the HAS
- Residents attend yearly team bonding event at Kennebec River
- Highly ranked public school systems in the Portland area
- Easy access to Portland International Jetport or Boston Logan International Airport
List of Resident Involvement
- Elected positions in MMC House Staff Association (President)
- Appointed positions in Maine Society of Anesthesiologists, Maine Medical Association
- Hospital department committees (HVAC, Quality Improvement, Wellness, Transfusion/Blood Bank, etc.)
- Tufts University School of Medicine Admissions committee
- All residents attend Program Evaluation Committee meetings
- Portland Maine, 2018 Restaurant City of the Year
- Bethel, Maine named America’s best ski town
- Maine, Safest State in America
- Top US Beer City, Brewbound
- Two Maine breweries made beer rating website RateBeer.com’s list of the “Best Brewers in the World for the Year 2019”
- Ogunquit Beach, #15 on Tripadvisor’s top 25 beaches in the United States