The anesthesiology residency at MMC is a categorical program that accepts five new residents a year. Starting intern year, residents have two months rotating with the anesthesia department.
At a Glance:
- 20 Residents- small program
- High clinical case load volume
- Over 50 staff anesthesiologists
- MMC – Referral base for over 1.3 million people from Maine and New Hampshire
- Over 600 beds, 54 anesthetizing locations
- Only Level I trauma center in Maine, largest north of Boston
- Regional leader – open heart surgery, kidney transplantation, pediatric surgery, OB and Neurosurgery
- Residents assigned advisors during PGY1 year.
- Meetings with advisors and program director every (6) months to assess progress and career plans
- State of the art simulation center
- Affiliated with Tufts University School of Medicine
- 100% Board pass rate
- Maine Medical Center prioritizes resident well-being.
- One of the only programs in the nation to provide call breaks to residents during their 24 hour call shift, Monday-Friday.
- PGY 1 Residents are given a day off during the beginning of the PGY1 year to allow them to set up appointment with local providers.
- Portland lifestyle – encourages wellness
- World-class hiking, sailing, skiing, and beaches, to name but a few, make this an attractive area in which to live and work.
- Low cost of living and wide range of choices spanning both urban and rural
- Either renting or purchasing a home is manageable on a resident salary
- Highly ranked public school systems in the Portland area
- Easy access to Portland International Jetport or Boston Logan International Airport
List of Resident Involvement
- Elected positions in MMC House Staff Association (President, Treasurer)
- Appointed positions in Maine Society of Anesthesiologists
- Hospital department committees (HVAC, Quality Improvement, Wellness, Transfusion/Blood Bank, etc.)
- Tufts University School of Medicine Admissions committee
- All residents attend Program Evaluation Committee meetings
- Portland Maine, 2018 Restaurant City of the Year
- Bethel, Maine named America’s best ski town
- Maine, Safest State in America
- Top US Beer City, Brewbound
- Two Maine breweries made beer rating website RateBeer.com’s list of the “Best Brewers in the World for the Year 2019”
- Ogunquit Beach, #15 on Tripadvisor’s top 25 beaches in the United States